Hornets, Wasps

Started by southernsis, March 25, 2007, 07:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southernsis

Another question. We are being envaded by hornets. Has anyone tried the sky blue paint to deter them from building. They are trying to build under the covered part of my deck. I use spray in other locations, but my dog likes to be in the shade and I don't want to spray there. Thought I would try the paint if you thought it would work. :'(
Thanks

glenn-k

I've only seen it on the little cottage someone posted here on CP.  

We used to love to throw rocks into the giant paper nests hanging in the trees in Oregon the run as fast as we could but now they'd probably catch me.

jraabe

Let us know if it works for you. Here in the gray NW a blue painted ceiling would not fool the little critters. Maybe it will work in a more sunny location.

Amanda_931

I was reading something (on paper) on animal totems, communication, etc.   Guy (Ted Andrews maybe?) talked himself into Dragon mode, going so far as to paint dragon claws on his hands.  Then he was able to confuse the scout hornets, and cut the nest down and relocate it in the nearby woods.

(would something like that work at night?)

optionguru

Up here in Northern NH almost all of the bed and breakfasts with large outdoor wrap around porches have the sky blue paint.  I never knew why until now.  I can't personally attest to it working but it sure is common up here.

Peter

southernsis

I am going to give it a try and will keep everyone posted as to whether it works or not.

southernsis

I found the way to keep the wasps from my deck. Put up hummingbird feeds, hanging under the deck roof, and the little critters have driven the wasps away. Didn't have to paint the underside of the roof after all
Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon.

desdawg

QuoteI was reading something (on paper) on animal totems, communication, etc.   Guy (Ted Andrews maybe?) talked himself into Dragon mode, going so far as to paint dragon claws on his hands.  Then he was able to confuse the scout hornets, and cut the nest down and relocate it in the nearby woods.

(would something like that work at night?)

Amanda, this is a reality show.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

Amanda_931

Reality????

or just a reality show?

;)