attic truss questions

Started by dablack, May 16, 2012, 07:53:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dablack

So I have finally found a company that are willing to give me what I want for attic trusses.  My one story is 26' wide.  The truss company is giving me 3' overhangs on each end so the truss spans 32'.  They are on 2' centers.  This will give me a 20' wide room upstairs.  VERY NICE!

So, since the trusses are on 2' centers, can't I use the space between them as mini-closets?  Can I put shelves inbetween?

Anything else anyone has to say about attic trusses?  I'm listening......er, um, reading. 

thanks
Austin

PEG688

Quote from: dablack on May 16, 2012, 07:53:18 AM

So, since the trusses are on 2' centers, can't I use the space between them as mini-closets?  Can I put shelves inbetween?

You could use the space between the "1/2 wall" vertical part of the truss in that way. Generally that area holds insulation , but sure you could back frame some backing between each truss to create a recessed  "back wall" between each truss to create small closets or shelf units,  and then put your insulation in the "new" back  wall location.   
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

dablack

PEG,

Thanks.  I'm going to go with spray in insulation so I will just spray the outside envelope.  Either way I will have a "back wall" just so stuff doesn't fall behind the shelves.   

Austin

PEG688

Quote from: dablack on May 16, 2012, 09:30:48 AM
PEG,

Thanks.  I'm going to go with spray in insulation so I will just spray the outside envelope.  Either way I will have a "back wall" just so stuff doesn't fall behind the shelves.   

Austin

If you're going to get inspected you'll need to pay close attention to your fire blocking, even if you're not getting inspected the fire stops are a good idea.

I think I'm following you right with what you'd like to do anyway.
G/L PEG
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

dablack

Thanks for the advice on the fireblock.  I will for sure go that way.  My four kids will be up there so, really there is NO other way to do it. 

thanks
Austin