Header on NLBW - Little House

Started by Pa_Kettle, June 21, 2006, 09:16:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pa_Kettle

It's my understanding that the gable end (14') walls in the 14x24 Little House are non-loadbearing.  It is also my understanding that I don't need full blown headers over the windows (or doors) in those two walls.  Is this correct?

I am planning on putting a window (35"x35") in one wall and a 6' (I think) sliding glass door in the other.  So, what should I put above these, header-wise?  Is a single 2x4 laying flat with 2x4 trimmers at each end ok?  I can't find a lot of detail on this in construction books, as they seem to handle only internal NLBW in detail.

Thanks,
PK

P.S. - I've got some pics of our progress up now.  I'll post a link in the builder's sections.

PEG688

#1:    (a)  It's my understanding that the gable end (14') walls in the 14x24 Little House are non-loadbearing.  It is also my understanding that I don't need full blown headers over the windows (or doors) in those two walls.

Is this correct?

I am planning on putting a window (35"x35") in one wall and a 6' (I think) sliding glass door in the other.

#2: (a)   So, what should I put above these, header-wise?

(b)    Is a single 2x4 laying flat with 2x4 trimmers at each end ok?

(c)       I can't find a lot of detail on this in construction books, as they seem to handle only internal NLBW in detail.

Thanks,
PK

quote]

#1 : (a)  Sort of .

#2: (a) Over a window 4' or smaller I'd use a dbled up 2x4 with 1/2" spacer to net 3 1/2", put it in like a header up on edge. If your using 2x4 exterior walls .

If 2x6 walls I'd use  dbl 2x4 header with a 2x6 on the flat under it .

This provides for the  interior S/R and trim nailing and exterior window , trim and siding nailing .

It also will stiffen the wall over the window .

(b)  It would be BUT your wall will be "flimsy",  not stiff/ rattley in a wind storm. IMO.

(c)  Modified ballon framing is sort of non standard these days.

Over a  6' door I'd use at least a dbl 2x6 for all the same reason's.  Thats a wide span / opening in a tall-ish wall . "Stiffing" of the wall not bearing support would be my concern.    

G/L PEG

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Pa_Kettle

Great!  Thanks for the info.  I'll do the doubled 2x4 sandwich for the window and a 2x6 sandwich for the sliding glass window.

Time to change my drawings.  I'm using qcad, which is a fairly useful open-source (well, the community verision is) 2-D cad program.

Thanks again,
PK

Amanda_931

Sometimes header sizes are chosen for their bulk, not structural properties.

As in--"we always use 2x8 headers above the windows because we want all the opening tops to be on a line, and that works for a door too."

John Raabe

There is very little structural load on a gable end wall (just the weight of the wall in the case of the little house).

That said, some sort of header is a good idea for the reasons already mentioned. Also, putting in a more standard header would be a very good idea if you ever want to run a shed roof off the gable end wall. This is a common way to do a small addition and someday somebody may want to do it.
None of us are as smart as all of us.