Glad to be here, and quick question!

Started by das fisch, April 09, 2010, 08:50:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

das fisch

Hello all. Just joined from Maine here. I am in the early stages of 1) selling my camp in the adirondacks and 2) looking for either an existing camp in western maine or building my own. Have been researching log camp kits and these would fit our needs. Have building experience and plenty of close friends in the industry (surveyor, contractors, engineers, etc.) but have a few questions for you folks.

This mornings research is all about foundations. I do not need a full height basement and frankly don't want one. What I'm thinking is either footings and block knee wall, slab or footings/pier. I know many of the advantages and disadvantages of these. the area of camp will have full winters and we plan on using it four seasons. So my main concerns are cold air under a pier and floor type and insulation, but definitely keeping plumbing from freezing. with a slab or knee wall i can see these being easier to protect, how would one insulate well supply lines, plumbing and whatnot on a pier type?

John Raabe

I think most of the cold weather folks here would suggest setting up your plumbing so that it can be easily drained and then putting the main supply and shut off valves in an insulated box that can have a tiny heater to keep it above freezing.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

das fisch

at camp in NY my system has a drain back design (when drained all flows back towards supply). this is nice and easy for closing up, but we really don't use that camp in the winter and building is not heated at all come snow.
this new one we planned on building or buying would be used thru the entire year, so if I can avoid having to drain when we leave for a span of more than a few days this would be much prefered. but if i have to drain then so be it.

rick91351

First thing welcome to the forum w*

I myself like the idea of being able to drain it and be able to leave.  Plans and dreams change.  Loss of power when gone for a few days can occur.  I almost think depending on the ground i.e. huge boulders and solid rock maybe a well isolated small cellar where you could store some perishables in the winter time and hold your pressure tank, maybe your hot water heater (if electric) and valves might be in order.  This could be reached from a cellar door from the out side or a hatch door on the inside.  The cellar would not even have to have a cement floor but a foot or two of gravel.  Masonry walls on footings would work well.  Then in the advent of having to drain your system open it up and let it drain, pour some RV antifreeze in the traps and leave for that cruise to the Southern Caribbean when its 40 below and two foot of snow.  Not a care man... ;D         
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

BassLakeBuda

We use ours occasionally in the winter even though it was not built for that. All of my upgrades take into account very quick and easy winterization. As you mentioned, making sure everything drains back to one point where it can be shut off easily is a good idea.

Even with leaving the heat on, I would be concerned with power outages while you are away. Seems like the farther out you get, the more often they happen and the longer they last.