20x32 1.5 story hillsville, Va

Started by devildog, September 08, 2008, 09:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sassy

I'll remember you in my prayers!  God knows when even a sparrow falls, so He certainly knows the plans He has for you! 
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

devildog

Thank you sassy. Thats a great verse, we just discussed it tonight in our bible study. We have alot of people in our congregation that have recently lost jobs and some who've been without for over ayear. The last I heard, or payed attention, the nations unemployment rate was 10%, and the city im in (jacksonville) was 14%. Our country needs prayer.
Darrell
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

pocono_couple

hey devildog,  how are things going?   we have not heard from you in a little while   

devildog

pocono_couple,  Thanks for having interest in whats going on with us.

Basically, since losing my job, I took a few days to look for direction. I knew my job might be coming to an end, but hoped I could save money to save for 1 more year. We own our property free and clear, we paid cash for the well and septic.But ,havent got started on the foundation yet. No house in hillsville or job. I live on my church property for free as security.We also paid cash for the mobile home we live in. And we have alot of money saved. But not enough to finish the house.

I find myself caught in the middle. So far,after a few days of prayer, my wife and I both feel as if we're supposed to move on.Ive put in about 15 applications/resume at various jobs in the roanoke,wytheville, and hillsville area. Im willing to do just about any type of work,but feel very strongly about staying away from prolonged outside jobs,because im fair skinned and have had many of the pre-cancers frozen off already.Im not going to even try to find a job in Florida.

Ive had friends suggest that we have our mobile home pulled up to our property.I think this would be very costly,and take away from our building fund. The other option is we sale it. Its probably still worth 15,000,and that would ,with what we already have, probably complete the house and we'd have no house payment. But then we'd have to pay rent and waste money while we're finishing the house,and that might take awhile. And I dont have a job up there yet either.

We've also thrown around some other ideas,but until I get a job we're going to hold tight.

I do peak onto the forum hear and there, but it takes me about an hour to fill out job application online. and even longer to find a job Im qualified for. I have enjoyed not working,its peaceful. My wife and daughter love having me home, but Im our only source of income, so I better get back at it.

When spring hits we're going to take the house as far as the money we have will take it.

Thanks again,we're fine.     
Darrell

25"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
28"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own    Matt. 6:25-34
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.

pocono_couple

here is one thought.. don't know if it makes sense in your case or not, but I know that where I used to live in new england, some folks who were building did it in stages..  they started with pouring a foundation and capping it off and living in the basement while they saved to complete the main house..  of course, it helps if it is a walk-out basement - I don't know about the lay of your land.  if you already have the well and the septic  something like this may work out?   

i imagine that some other people here would have other creative ideas..     

Bobmarlon

Good luck,  Im not the most faithfull person but Im sure something good will come of this.  Good luck and happy cabin building I wish you the best and I hope you end up in a situation doing something you enjoy. 

devildog

pocono_couple, that is agood idea. I had some neighbor in WV do that about 35yrs ago, and they never did add on. We never planned on doing a basement,even though our property is perfect for it. Our goal was just to build with cash,and still is.And we felt like the basement cost would be too much. Thanks for the idea.

Bobmarlon, Thank you. I would like to have a job I really like.It seems like I just did jobs,not that I didnt enjoy them sometimes. But I dont know what i really would like to do.And Id be happy just making enough to live on.I was spoiled at my last job, of course for a 41yr old Im a very hard worker. I once told my friend I was the highest paid landscaper in the world, I dont know that actually true,but Ill never make 60,000yr again ,probably not even half . and Im fine with that.
About 15 applications so far,and the phones not ringing yet, but it will.
Darrell

devildog

I tried posting this last night, typed a bunch of stuff, hit enter and lost internet service. Hopefully tonnight it will work.

Finally making some progress.Cost for grading driveway,digging footers,2 loads of crusher run,and removal of my big pile of stumps was $1,222.00. We're moving forward till money runs out. I did start my job at the army ammunitions plant, its o.k. . The good news is there going to pay me $3.35 an hour up to 40 more than I expected.And there's suppose to be alot of overtime.

Im going to property tomorrow to see if there done with blocks, and maybe take more pics.

I need to try to catch up on everyones projects,its been along time since ive been on here.

Darrell

Redoverfarm

Looks like a nice setting for a house.  There has to be a typo here "The good news is there going to pay me $3.35 an hour up to 40 more than I expected.And there's suppose to be alot of overtime."  Darrell that's not even minimum wage.  At that rate your completion time frame will be worse than mine. d*

devildog

Redover, sorry about not explaining. starting pay was 11.31,there paying me 3.35 an hour more. $14.66
Darrell

devildog

Crawlspace complete! They did a great job.

Dave C.

Hi; My name's Dave, and I'm a retired marine. We bought land in Cana, so we're very close to you. I used Venable brothers for my well. They had to go 129'. The flow's 9 gpm. It ended up costing me $5,200. I used Gary's backhoe for my drive and septic. He's a former marine, and I felt that he really worked well with us. He's also in Hillsville. Your place is really shaping up well. Have you moved in the area, or are you still in FL? About the well, Gary recommended someone else (after the fact) that was cheaper, and in the area. We closed on our land just before Christmas, and I've been going there as much as possible. We live in Jax, NC, and the 5-6hr drive isn't always the best (I-40), but we'll be moving probably within 3 years. Thanks for your posts, Dave

cbc58

could you give us an idea of what that crawlspace cost to put in??   

devildog

Dave C. welcome to the forum. I used gary also and thought he did a great job. He did my septic, footers,and driveway.his prices are very reasonable.
I am living in christianburg area,but I have to find a permanant place to live by june 15th and Im still looking for another job,because this one is not working out.and I need to get my wife and daughter over asap from Tenn.
I dont get on here very much anymore,I just dont have much time. Ill look to see if youve posted anything.I look forward to seeing your progress and maybe sometime we can see each others projects.The price of lumber is about to bring me to a hault though, we'll see.
Semper fi.

cbc58, it cost me exactly $4300. The floor plan/layout that they did for me is on page 2 reply #34. its 880sqft but im also adding a loft.
Darrell

pocono_couple

hey guys,  great to see that you are making progress.  it looks like we are into some great outside building weather.  the school year is almost over, and i am anxious to get back to our project.  I am looking forward to seeing what you accomplish next!

hillsvillehermit

I'm fairly new to the forum, just checking to see if there has been any progress? I would be interested to see since I'm also from Hillsville.

devildog

Welcome firefighter, I'd love to have something to post about but last year has had alot of ups and downs. I've been laid off from one job, then a few months later got fired from another.This left us in a position where living without a house payment was no longer going to happen. I currently work in Blacksburg and live in christiansburg and enjoy my job.
I dont have enough money to move forward and really don't feel like driving an hour to work. so we're currently trying to buy a church in C'burg and convert that into a house. If nobody objects(Its not quite a small house), I'll post the remodeling efforts on that. But we've been trying to finalize that and its been a hassle.

But I/we love Hillsville and the property. Everything there is paid for and the taxes are only $20.32 a yr. so I still plan on finishing it,maybe renting it and then someday retiring there. I have learned that the plans  I have are not necessarily the plans God has for me, and Im now content with that.

Im on here all the time, this is my favorite sight. But my computer wont remember my password and Im to lazy to type it in.                     

Do you have plans to build? theres alot of good info on here and people with knowledge to help and give ideas.

Darrell

Redoverfarm

It's been a while Darrell since we have heard from you. Have wondered what happened.  Thanks for the update.

Don_P

Ditto, glad to hear that you're still on the green side of the grass  :). Our mason lives in C-burg and is commuting over an hour to the job, stopping to feed the bovines at the farm he hopes to move to in Carroll co on the way. Makes for a long day. Wherever I work it seems like it's about 45 minutes, centrally located  ;D

hillsvillehermit

I hope to build sometime in the future. I bought 4.412 acres on the north side of Hillsville back in August of 2010. I'm in the process of getting a promotion, per se, at work; and if I get it I will probably end up having to move away for 5 years or so before I can get back to an opening down here. I don't want to start building until I see exactly what my living situation is going to be. So for now clearing my land, daydreaming and drawing up rough plans is as far as I have gotten.