Let's all design a 10k house

Started by Amanda_931, July 04, 2006, 11:54:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amanda_931

And a second architecture link also with the number 10 in it.  Treehugger strikes again.

http://10house.wetpaint.com/page/Home

http://www.team10online.org/

Here's the first of the first link:

Introduction
This project codenamed "10 House" (10K for a perfect 10 house, aka the "wiki house") will be a repository of information, methods, and materials to build a green house for approx. $10,000. Can it be done? The goal is to find out. After we've hammered out the costs on paper the next step would be to have one built!

Here's more about team 10

From the mid-1950s until well into the 1970s, the debate on Modern Architecture and the city received a new impulse from a group of young European architects under the banner of Team 10. Core members included the Dutch architects Jaap Bakema and Aldo van Eyck, Alison and Peter Smithson from the United Kingdom, Giancarlo De Carlo from Italy, and Georges Candilis and Shadrach Woods from France. Other architects who were involved include José Coderch, Ralph Erskine, Amancio Guedes, Herman Hertzberger and Oswald Mathias Ungers.They met within the CIAM organization - the famous platform for modern architects dominated by Le Corbusier, Walter Gropius and Sigfried Giedion - but they soon abandoned it to hold their own meetings.
At these Team 10 meetings the issues of modernization, the welfare state and consumer society, as well as the role of the architect, were the subject of heated debate. The various built and unbuilt projects by Team 10 members served as a vehicle for these highly influential and inspiring exchanges.

John Raabe

Interesting Amanda:

Some of our folks could do a lot with $10k!  ::)

Setting the budget as the design criteria is a bit tricky as mileage will vary... a lot!!!

However, we could play with the concept in this group.... Here's some suggestions for rules:

• You can use recycled materials (this is one of the most green things you can do)
• Has to work for heating and cooling climates - no Hawaii only thatch hut
• Has to work in all soils and climates - no underground solar heated rubber tire house that will only work in Colorado or New Mexico.
• Has to use readily available materials you can get everywhere.

Questions:
• Does it have to get a building permit?
• Does it have to have inside plumbing and wiring (this will cost over $10k itself to setup on raw land)
(I would answer no to the above)

Anyway... name your criteria and describe what you would build. We'll see what folks might do.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Billy Bob

Sounds like a good set of suggested rules, John.
One thought that crossed my tiny mind is the difference in cost of materials from one place to another.  Would it make sense to allow for this?  There is an approximate 48% difference in cost of goods and materials between El Paso and Manhattan, to cite an extreme.
Bill

StinkerBell

This sounds like a fun challenge! I wish I had more time so I could play :-/

John Raabe

Since this is starting to be an owner-builder design challenge, and because size really makes better sense to focus on than cost, the rest of this thread has been moved to [link=http://www.countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1153373432]This Thread[/link]
None of us are as smart as all of us.