Builders cottage plans

Started by cedarglen, January 09, 2006, 11:34:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cedarglen

I have purchased the universal two story plans. My original plan was to park a travel traier in the driveway and build the 2 story. My wife is now telling me that might be OK for a while, but maybe not. I am thinking of putting the travel trailer in the driveway and first building the Builders cottage, then building the universal 2 story with more patience. I have some questions about the Builders cottage plans.

1. My building department does not allow Pier and Post foundations, is there a detail for a poured concreet foundation? How about a Basement paln?
2. Do the floor joists span the whole 14' or are there supports and a beam like with the universal two story?
3. Can the loft be continued across the entire house? not necessarily for living space, but as an attic.

thank you
Charles

jraabe

Charles:

• You should use the Builder's Cottage plans in the Enchilada plans set. That has a concrete foundation for the 14x24 cottage.
• The floor joists span the full width (I call out both I-joists and standard joists, you can use either).
• There is no basement plan but the foundation installer could easily upgrade the concrete crawlspace to a basement. Check if you have to have an interior stair to the basement. Some jurisdictions require this and it takes a lot of space out of this little cottage. (The same area as for the basement plan in Universal cottage.)
• The loft floor can be extended as desired.