Need opinions on buying a factory reconditioned Bosch tankless water heater

Started by Bishopknight, July 29, 2009, 04:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bishopknight

Hey everyone,

I'm currently researching tankless water heaters since my well is now setup. I really like the Bosch Aquastar 1600H-LP ( hydro fed pilot ignition model ) and I'm leaning towards the vertical vent system.

Here are the prices for both from a few distributors: I think I'm leaning towards the reconditioned unit because of the $100-$150 savings. Is that what some of you would do also? Or would you go with other models?

PexSupply.com ( free shipping )
1600HLP - $699
H/P VVT - $109
--------------------
                $807

Amazon.com ( free shipping )
1600H-LP - $649
H/P VVT - $115
-------------------
                $755

Bosch Reconditioned - full factory warranty - $549 free shipping
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bosch-AquaStar-Pro-1600H-LP-Gas-Tankless-Water-Heater_W0QQitemZ180389323637QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2a000aa375&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
h/p vvt - $109 free shipping
---------------------------------
                      $659

rwanders

What temperature is your well water?  If it is down near 38 like mine, don't skimp on the BTU capacity for your tankless. I have a Rennai with 199,000 BTU which has proved to be very adequate. 
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

considerations

I just read the installation manual on that model.  Is supposed to be mounted on a wall, indoors, where it doesn't get cold/frozen...and "is not approved for: installation in bathroom, bedroom or other occupied rooms normally kept closed." 

Overkill? Maybe....

Anyway I just saw one listed on craigslist for $450.  The sellers said they put it in their cabin (1 sink, no shower) and found it was overkill.  I'd love to snap it up but I'm depending on installing mine outside. 

http://olympic.craigslist.org/app/1289865004.html 

MountainDon

Well water temperature is a big factor to consider. Those things are all rated on so many GPM at a certain temperature rise.

As far as whether or not to buy a reconditioned one; as long as the warranty is the same I'd go for saving some money. That is after I'd completed my research and had picked that model anyways, or at least had it on my short list. I do not put the price first, although it is a factor of course.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Bishopknight

Same warranty Don. I agree with you too. I'll probably buy reconditioned. I've done it with a lot of things and its always worked out great.

Good point rwanders, my well water is around 37 degrees year round. I wonder if I'd have to lower the water pressure if It wasn't heating the water up enough  ??? So that water goes through the heater slower?

rwanders

You will need to achieve your temperaiure rise at a minimum of 2.5 gpm for a good shower. Pressure adjustment will not work---BTU output is what controls the performance.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

Windpower

I have an AquaStar up at the farm -- it is about 9 years old and works fine

it has not been used continuously but just when we are up there

the only problem is because of the VERY hard water (lots of calcium) the flow is not as high as it was new

I think I need to just clean out the coils with come vinegar

the well water is so cold it makes your hands hurt --probably 50 degrees F but the water out is plenty hot

my 2 cents

I'd go for the new one myself if you can afford it, although the reconditioned one carries a warranty...
Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

glenn kangiser

I have the same one but previous model.  It works great.

The seller or maybe instructions said not to make your water any hotter than the hottest thing you need it for as the hotter it gets the more scale you get.  We make it hot as we want in the shower if it is 100% hot water.

Most of the time we find the re-con stuff good but we have had the occasional re-curring unfound problem in a computer that makes me question the sense of the use of the re-cons.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Bishopknight

Thanks everyone.

I ended up buying the reconditioned one at the first bid price of $509 + free shipping. I also bought the vertical vent kit for $109 + free shipping. All in all, I feel like its a good deal considering the warranty.