Floor and walls for pole building

Started by Nolalu_hillbilly, February 12, 2007, 03:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nolalu_hillbilly

For my 32 x 20 pole shop retrofit off my barn i plan on just strapping across the verticle poles and putting metal siding up.Is this a viable option,not quite sure what I will use for insulation and walls for the inside yet tho.Also I would like to pour a cement floor after the walls and roof are on. I can pour a thickened edge slab on the outside walls but I dont want to dig down and undermine the current barn wall.Any suggestions for this? We do get a good bit of frost but im not overly concerned about having the floor crack.Any advice would be appreciated

Scott

glenn-k

It is common to do that on pole barns - You may want to shim or notch the poles a bit to get the walls straight.

You will likely not have much load along the barn wall anyway I would guess so I would not worry about getting too wild with a thickened edge there.  You could throw in a #4 rebar around the outside edge to keep things from separating.  Keep it an inch or so off the bottom for best strength - we go about 3 inches on thicker footings.