14x24 loft joists?

Started by OlJarhead, October 12, 2009, 10:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Just saw your update and wonder if I missed this in the plans - going to look shortly -- but should I be planning 2x10 loft joists instead of 2x8's?  It's a 'sleeping' loft.

Thanks

Beavers

Here's a handy calculator that gives you maximum spans.  Just plug in the info and it spits out the answer.  [cool]

http://www.awc.org/calculators/span/calc/timbercalcstyle.asp

OlJarhead

13'11" for 2x8 with a live load of 30 and a dead load of 10 -- I think I read somewhere you need a live load of 30 in order to walk on.

So, my span is 13' -- any reason I should not use 2x8's then?

OlJarhead

Quote from: OlJarhead on October 12, 2009, 10:23:08 PM
Just saw your update and wonder if I missed this in the plans - going to look shortly -- but should I be planning 2x10 loft joists instead of 2x8's?  It's a 'sleeping' loft.

Thanks

John?  I went looking again and the plans show the loft materials list with 2x8's which using the calculator (assuming I'm doing it right) indicates can span the 13' I need to span with loads of 30 psf -- if that's correct for a sleeping loft let me know.

I've got a 2x10 band joist in so can put in 2x10's but obviously don't want to ;) unless there is a risk of failure using the 2x8's.

Thanks
Erik

OlJarhead

Elsewhere it was confirmed that DF#2 2x8's spanning 13' on 16" centers would be fine for a sleeping loft -- I cam back today only to remind myself -- thanks!