small "storage shed" foundation questions.

Started by JavaMan, April 05, 2010, 05:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JavaMan

I've decided that, given my limited financial resources at the moment, I should build a small shed (12'X12') at the ranch first, so I have a place to store tools, supplies, etc.

To that end, I am thinking of a 12'X12' shed with a "lowered" ceiling and a loft (if I can find some descent software, I'll put up a sketch of the idea)

My question, tho, as I plan this out, is how to affix the building to the ground.  Yes, I know I could just dig a hole, with paver at the bottom followed with a concrete foundation block with the post/beam holder as I've seen on the site in many places.

But for some reason, I want to put rebar and concrete down that hole, and use an 8" tube with remesh/rebar in it up to the beam height - attaching the beam to the tube using strong ties embedded in the concrete.

By my calculations, the tallest concrete tube/pillar would be all of 30" above grade, all others would be less than that.

Ideally, I would be able to pour all the posts so that the beams would rest on them and be level, and I would only have to use a washer and nuts to secure them to the pillars.

Am I crazy for thinking I can do this and get away with it? or is it simply overkill?  The odd thing is that I think it would be more expensive to do it this way - about 20% more expensive - but would it be stronger or better?

As soon as I can do a sketch of what I'm thinking, I'll put one up (the kids got a sketch pad attachment for Christmas that hasn't been hooked up yet - I think it's time  ;))

John Raabe

The Little House plans have a workup for a 12' wide structure. The concrete pier foundation can replace the pier and pad and would work fine for a shallow slope.

Here is the article on that option: http://countryplans.com/foundation/index.html

The easy way to set the brackets is to tack them to the temporary leveled and in place beam and then pack the final concrete around the bottoms of the brackets.

The advantage of wood posts is that they can more easily be cross braced as the height gets over 24-30" or so. This is hard to do with concrete. ???
None of us are as smart as all of us.

JavaMan

Quote from: John Raabe on April 05, 2010, 06:07:47 PM
The Little House plans have a workup for a 12' wide structure. The concrete pier foundation can replace the pier and pad and would work fine for a shallow slope.

Here is the article on that option: http://countryplans.com/foundation/index.html

The easy way to set the brackets is to tack them to the temporary leveled and in place beam and then pack the final concrete around the bottoms of the brackets.

The advantage of wood posts is that they can more easily be cross braced as the height gets over 24-30" or so. This is hard to do with concrete. ???

Thanks John - that's what I was looking for.  And, that's exactly how I was planning on doing it. making sure the tops of the tubes were all "level", supporting the tie with the beam itself and filling the tube to the very bottom of the beam.

I installed a tower in a very similar fashion a few years back, and it stood through many a wind storm just fine.  But that's a tower with antenna on it, not a structure that I might be inside when it blew away  :)

Again, thanks for the input.  I figure, if I drop the ceiling/loft floor, I can get a 7' shed with a 7' peak roof and a place to sleep, if need be.  Then the next project would be the other cabin(s), which I've decided will have dry stack crawl space/basements.