Ceiling panels

Started by southernsis, March 23, 2009, 06:02:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southernsis

Does anyone know if they make a 4x8 ft sheet of ceiling panel? I seem to remember at one time seeing these. They already are textured and fit together like the smaller blocks.
I am buying an old building in my small town for my business and it needs a new ceiling. The old ceiling is falling down and is in bad shape. The ceiling height is probably 12 ft and then there are 2x12's.
I will post some pictures as soon as I close the deal and the owner removes the junk he has stored in it.
Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon.

ScottA

Lowes has some replicas of the old style stamped metal cieling panels they used in the old days. I'm not sure of the sizes though.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Home Depot had them around 2 years ago... not sure that they still do.

fraggin

When I was considering doing a cieling grid in my garage, I had an idea of using door skins trimmed out in molding at 4x8 panels.  Never got around to it.

glenn kangiser

Just re-read this, Sis.  I don't know how cost would compare - maybe high but looks like plenty of room for a suspended ceiling - metal grids hanging from wires with large  2'x4' tiles or lights in the grids as required.  I have done some in the past in commercial buildings or worked around them done by others.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

southernsis

Thanks everyone for the help. I went yesterday with someone to get a closer look at the building and found out the roof is gone. After some thought and an estimate decided against the building. The price was cheap enough, but when I add up the cost of getting it ready to open, just too much. I did go look at another building on the main highway and it turned out to be a better building, plus the location is where I would like to be. It was an old gas station about 15 years ago. There are no tanks, so don't have to worry about that. It needs a little work, painting inside and out and a general cleanup of the land, nearly an acre. With this building, I can be open in about 2 weeks. The owner is giving me terms on it that I can't pass up. Will keep you posted. Will probably close the deal today. It will take him a week to get his junk out. Around here they love to collect junk, and I mean junk.

pagan

A friend of mine is a painter and does pin striping on vintage cars and motorcycles and he had an article from a guy who bought a house full of "junk" and as he was clearing off the porch underneath all of that "junk" was an all original 1918 Harley Davidson. It was even featured on a Harley calendar my friend had. You never know what you're going to find, although I've only found junk who knows what you might find.

glenn kangiser

That's great Sis.  I hope it works out well.

Is it really junk or is it un-natural resources.... [waiting]

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

southernsis

It is junk. Broken down stoves and washers. There is nothing of any value. I closed the deal today and we are going to get started. Need to pressure wash, get it dry and then paint the outside to go with the colors of my real estate signs. I will post some pictures tomorrow of what it looks like outside. The junk isn't just inside it is outside also.

glenn kangiser

Cool - glad things are progressing.

pagan

At least with cleaning out junk you quickly see a result from your effort.