Pressure treated or not?

Started by Leo, August 04, 2005, 02:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo

The 6x12 beams  used in  16x28 foot post and beam foundations shoulld these be pessure treated?They will be a foot or more offthe ground and if not should any treatment or paint be used?

peg_688

Rule of thumb , # 1 if it touches the ground or concrete , P/T .   #2 if it's outside deck post / beams / joist P/T .                                                                         So your beams in a crawl space do not need to be P/T , the post that touch the concrete need to be P/T    OR   you could put a asphalt shingle under the post , I'd do P/T post ,,,  regular beam . HTBH  ;)PEG

Leo

Thanks peg ,I will probably raise the beams to18" above grade and use southern hard pine which is a bargain locally

Amanda_931

This afternoon I was at a laundromat, built on a large concrete slab.  An interior door frame--six or eight feet from the outside of the building--was seriously eaten up by termites, it looked like.

I kept thinking, Huh?

any ideas?

(of course, considering the place, the frame could have been salvaged from another building where it was, contrary to specifications, used as an external door)

peg_688

When the mites want to eat they eat  :o  They will eat most anything , I had railroad ties , old ones beside the driveway , the ones with Creasoate (sp) old ties , just the outer shell was left , full of termites , how thoses guys lived I do not know !! But they did and grew as a group till I bured then in fire .     So this new treated wood won't stop the termites I am sure . I was surprised here in Wa. state I'd see that many termites in that type of wood  ??? ??? But did .

Why didn't the railroad tie creasote kill them ???  This was your typical 8x8 railroad second use tie , spike  holes to boot .

Termites and roaches might be all that will live on  .  HTBH  ;)PEG

Amanda_931

I think most of those things leach out eventually.  

But there was a marked reduction in the deforestation of this country after creosote-treated railroad ties came into being in, what, the early part of the last century I think

Carpenter bees hit PT wood after some years.