Conflicting design goals, How do you decide?

Started by ballen, January 21, 2009, 06:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballen

My goal is to build a sustainable, small home.  I want to follow some of the basic guidelines like facing south for the best thermal management, etc.  My problem is that the site is situated on the east end of a beautiful lake so the best view, if I face south, is to the right.  Has anyone seen a design that would be appropriate in this situation?  The "green" building books tell you to limit windows on the east and west walls but that would mean I lose my lake view.  Help!
Thanks.
currently designing my small house in the woods

ScottA

Make the house 5% smaller and add a window facing the lake.

MountainDon

I would orient the cabin/home the way that would please my wife and I. I'd take advantage of the view. I know if I did not do that I would be unhappy later on. My wife would also be unhappy, and I would pay twice for that  ;) if I insisted on orienting the cabin the way the green book stated.

Then I would be certain to build carefully, seal and insulate the walls well, and put lots of insulation in the ceiling/roof (R50). The windows would be high grade, Low-e glass, argon filled maybe, wood or vinyl.

Perhaps I'd look into adding a solar hot air exchanger on the south wall for the cold weather months.  ???  

Green practices are not all achievable on all lots when you take other human needs into account. At times compromise is necessary. If compromise is not desired, then a new place is needed to build.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

zion-diy

Just a 50-ish chic an a gimp,building thier own house,no plans,just--work,work,work,what a pair :}

John_M

...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

ballen

Nice to get unanimous answers!  Guess I was overthinking it a little.
Framing my lake view is my new priority.
Any 16x20 or so plans you all like for this purpose?
Thanks
currently designing my small house in the woods

MountainDon

Little house plans go up to 14 wide, the Victoria cottage is 16 wide.

Lengths can changed with no engineering problems, shorter/longer.

The end walls carry only their own weight. The roof loads all transfer through the side walls. Doors and windows can be moved within reason. 
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

Jochen

There are also examples of using the 14' wide plans for 16' wide cabins. Take a look at http://www.coyotecottage.com/ for an nice example.
And  w* to the club!

Jochen