Ways to address mice when insulating

Started by ENTP, July 21, 2008, 03:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ENTP

Hello,

I'm working on a small 16x26 summer cabin that my wife and I purchased in Maine a few years ago. The cabin had (probably still has) a problem with mice.

I removed the interior walls and insulation which helped alleviate much of the odor produced by our little fuzzy tenants and now I'm considering whether or not to re-insulate the walls and ceiling. A fresh coat of white paint on the bare stud walls would satisfy both of us but temperatures can drop pretty low in late spring and early fall in Maine.

Can anyone recommend insulation products that are rodent proof?

John Raabe

While a spray foam would be perhaps the hardest for critter access I think finding and sealing the access points is more critical. They have probably grown to love the nesting site and perhaps the free food.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

As for access points steel wool is supposed to at least annoy them.  Possibly add it to joint compound or plug the hole with the wool then compound over it.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

There is probably at least one if not more access points originating from the crawlspace up to the interior wall partitions.  Hardware cloth in those area would probably help.  If not the complete joist area under the house.

MarkAndDebbie

PEG688

Ways to address mice when insulating , Mr. Mouse,  Micky , the Mick , or you lil ba$tar...................... rofl rofl  Ok I'll  :-X  now ,  [toilet] [shocked]
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

I resisted that, PEG.   

I tried really hard.  d*   

I was successful.

This one is going to take a bit more restraint though.

"Rodent exclusion from Mt Don"

Perhaps a good dose of laxative? hmm

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

ENTP

Quote from: John Raabe on July 21, 2008, 03:16:55 PM
While a spray foam would be perhaps the hardest for critter access I think finding and sealing the access points is more critical. They have probably grown to love the nesting site and perhaps the free food.

I was thinking about the spray foam stuff too and for the R rating as well. I imagine it's quick and easier to cover most cracks and small holes if you use a spray. I'll find out whether if any, or which kind, has a repelant and pass on the info.

The house is on a new foundation and there's a foam seal between it and the old sill. We're going to do doors and windows over time.

Thanks....

ENTP

Quote from: PEG688 on July 22, 2008, 12:02:39 AM

Ways to address mice when insulating , Mr. Mouse,  Micky , the Mick , or you lil ba$tar...................... rofl rofl  Ok I'll  :-X  now ,  [toilet] [shocked]

These guys are not bashful. I named one, little buddy.  :)

PEG688

Ways to address mice when insulating , 8 iron ? If it's windy remember not to ground your putter if thats the club of choice, it could cost you a stroke.

Mtn.D may have a other issues Glenn , a stick of TnT may help with that "exclusion" , placed , well you know where :-[

And here I though we're all suppose to be working on  a "inclusionary" world  :-\
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

Is the word tolerance, PEG?

People, why can't we all just get along?  (Does that include mice? hmm  I wonder how Rodney's doing now anyway?)

MountainDon

Quote from: MarkAndDebbie on July 21, 2008, 05:14:55 PM
Rodent exclusion from Mt Don
http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2919.0

:) :)  One of my neighbors in the mountains is a District Forest Service Ranger. He pointed me at that info. He has used it and swears that he is free of mice. We do have lots at least going by the mouse trapline I run in the winter months.  ::)  The RV seems to have some invisible ingress points. I hope to eliminate any access in the cabin under construction.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.