Impervious deck surface thoughts

Started by MikeT, July 09, 2007, 08:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

Greetings,

On my beach house project, the local lumber supplier mistakenly delivered 30 sheets of PT plywood.  Before I have them pick them up, I thought I would get your thoughts on what might be a good impervious deck.  I am looking at this because on my sloping lot, I will have a deck below as well, and I thought that if my upper deck was impervious, then the lower might be an outdoor room when the weather is wet as it often is in Oregon.

Thanks,
mt

glenn kangiser

Mike Oehler is now recommending EPDM liner for underground cabin roofs.  There are also membranes that can be had from roofing supply places, then possibly a wood deck on sleepers over that.  There are expensive deck coatings I have seen used on apartments also.  Commercial flooring guys had a lock on the process so you had to buy from them -- not always a bad idea in specialized applications though.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

None of us are as smart as all of us.

Pala

We used EPDM on the Parent's Getaway.

glenn kangiser

Good to know.  Now you can give us performance reports, Chuck.  I understand that it is pretty good material.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Better hope those drains never get plugged in the winter :o :o I'm sure you have a door onto that deck , is it raised up a couple of inch's?

We have done two  similar decks , one is open at the edges and sloped to drain ,

We scuppered it like this , 4 ea. spaced evenly ,   the Versa deck which is a sort of cross between vinyl and EDPM , rolls right uinto the scupper.

Come to think of it that rotten place we worked on last month now has three new Versa deck surfaces , they all drain right of the edge , sort of like the firts photo.

I'll try to get a few photo's of those decks .  
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

PEG688

BTW the ply under neath is not treated , I doubt Chuck is either, they want a good smooth  face , and come to think of it I did one about ten years ago over in Mount Vernon , Wa. when that stuff was new , they at that time wanted a AC 7 ply , plywood. The last few where just  T&G  ply , 1/2" wonder board over that and floated smooth seams , nail heads etc .

What under your Chuck?

A buddy of mine did a similar  type deck he had a Rhino liner guy come and spray it on  , which was  PITA as the guy was set up more for you to come to him , kinda hard to drive a deck to his shop , anyway Garry got it done and said it worked well . He even thought about some way to set up to do the spraying , but Garry's always been a "Great  dreamer / inventer " of the next get rich quick setup, he's still normal / middle class ::) ;D
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .