Flow chart

Started by builderboy, March 18, 2007, 07:26:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

builderboy

Bigmish's questions about timing of utility installation reminded me of an memory my wife had recently. She worked for an engineering firm who had flow charts for timing of subs on each job they managed. Any general contrators out there have something like a "generic" flow chart us do it yourselfer's could use for this purpose?

builderboy

Maybe there's one in John's recommended books that I haven't read yet ! ?

peg_688

Mines in my brain, but your inspection card is sort of a mini flow chart , at least all the ones I've seen the inspections are called out pretty much "in order".  Some where on this site there has to be a flow chart , I'd think. Some one will bump it or point it out.  

desdawg

I used to make them up when I was a project manager on commercial jobs. They are unique for each job depending on conditions. But they are highly logical. I.E. You have to have site prep and excavation before you can form for concrete. The biggest thing is accurate time estimates. Each contract had a time limitation with liquidated damage penalties for exceeding that timeframe. I used a horizontal bargraph format. Some trades can overlap. On a large project with block walls you could get x amount of concrete poured and the masons could start while the remainder of the concrete was being placed for instance. At another phase the sheetmetal ductwork has to go in before the electrican and plumber start or you will have water pipe and conduit in your sheetmetal runs every time.
I would list each phase and allot a timeframe kind of like this. Like PEG said you have to go through the process in your head and make it all fit into the deadline. Then you know if you have to push certain subs harder to make the schedule work.
                       Jan          Feb      March     April
Excavation         -----------
Footings & Stems         -----------
Masonry                             -------------
Concrete floors                              -----------
And so on.
My first job was the Littleton Center for The Cultural Arts in Littleton, CO. I had never done one of these so I got the trial by fire coming out the gate. I got feedback from the subs as to how much time was needed for their work and balanced that against the contract deadline. It worked and we finished ahead of schedule.

glenn-k

Here is a sequence from this site:  http://fcgov.com/building/inspections.php  

The following is a list of required inspections in their normal order of completion. Although they all may not be applicable to your particular project, please use it as a general guideline:

1. Temporary Construction Power
     Light and Power will inspect temporary power sets after a meter socket can, disconnect, and ground fault protected receptacles are placed on the building site. The permit for the temporary power set is included with the building permit.
  2. Footing Inspection
     This is done after the footing has been formed and any reinforcing steel is installed, but prior to the placement of concrete. Any prescribed below-grade insulation must also be in place. Inspection to be performed by permit holder's engineer.
  3. Foundation Inspection
     This is done after the foundation walls have been formed and the reinforcing steel is installed, but also prior to placement of concrete. Any prescribed below-grade insulation must also be in place. Inspection to be performed by permit holder's engineer.
  4. Rough-In Underground Plumbing
     This is done after the underground or under slab plumbing is installed but prior to its being covered. (Water test or five psi air test is required).
  5. Sewer Inspection
     This is done when the building sewer (that portion of the drainage system from two feet outside the building to public sewer) is installed, and prior to its being covered.
  6. Water Service
     This is done when the water service piping from the City stop valve to the building is in its place and prior to its being covered. A water test if couplings are used.
  7. Water Meter Setting Inspection
     The water meter setting must pass inspection before the Certificate of Occupancy or at temporary Certificate of Occupancy can be issued.
  8. Gas Line Air Test
     This shall be made after gas piping, fittings, unions, and valves authorized by the permit have been installed and before any such piping has been covered or concealed or any fixture or appliance has been attached thereto. (A 10 psi air test is required).
  9. Plumbing Top-Out and Water Test
     This is done after the above ground plumbing (water and drainage piping) is installed, prior to the framing inspection (water test five psi air test is required). Piping must not be covered until after the framing inspection, and where applicable, concurrent with the framing inspection.
 10. Electrical Energize
     The Electrical energize is done when the permanent meter is set. The electrical service equipment must be installed and bonded to a grounding electrode and a ground fault protected receptacle must also be installed. This inspection authorizes utilities to energize equipment when requested by the contractor for electric service to facilitate construction. All energized parts should be suitably protected against accidental contacts after they are energized.
 11. Rough Heating Inspection
     This is done after the heating plant, vent, and duct work has been installed. This inspection should also precede or be concurrent with the framing inspection.
 12. Electrical Rough-In Inspection
     This is done after the premises wiring system has been installed, and it should precede or be concurrent with the framing inspection.
 13. Fireplace Inspection
     This is also done concurrently with the frame inspection about midway in the laying-up of a masonry fireplace while the lintel across the opening is visible and the smoke chamber can be easily seen and its wall thickness noted. For a factory built fireplace, it should be inspected after the fireplace, the chimney, the chimney framing and the fire stopping is completed, but prior to covering the shaft or fireplace framing members.
 14. Frame and Roof Inspection
     This is done after the structures walls, floors, and other framing members are in place and after the exterior sheathing has been installed. Additionally, the roof must be completed to the point where the building interior can be considered to be weather protected. All of the sub-systems such as plumbing, mechanical, and electrical must be inspected prior to the installation of wallboard, interior sheathing and insulation. Residential buildings must comply with the "Residential Air Sealing Checklist".
 15. Insulation Inspection
     After approval of the framing inspection, insulation may be installed. Prior to the installation of wallboard, an insulation inspection is required which will verify proper R values, air sealing, insulation fire blocking, and general workmanship as required in the Fort Collins Energy Code.
 16. Final Inspection
     This is done after all work shown on the approved plans has been completed.

Certificate of Occupancy and/or Letter of Completion

For new buildings, a Certificate of Occupancy is required prior to occupying the building. In certain cases for other than single family homes, a Temporary Certificate of Occupancy can be issued pending minor remaining items awaiting completion or where only portions of the building are complete. For alteration and projects which do not add significantly to the building space, a Letter of Completion is issued. Other departments may require final approvals prior to issuing a Certificate of Occupancy.

peg_688

See we stillneed ya Glenn 8-) I wouldn't wanta do that much work ;D

glenn-k

Looks like a lot but I just copied, pasted and linked back.  I'm basically lazy. :-/ :)