Air compressor question

Started by n74tg, April 29, 2010, 05:55:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onkeludo2

Those are great compressors!

Have you considered a truck hoist or renting an engine hoist?  There is always the tried and true block and tackle on a big tree limb.

Keep us updated on how the foam system ends up working.  I was curious about this system when I saw it in FHB online.

Mike
Making order from chaos is my passion.

n74tg

Well, it took the better part of the day, but I got the compressor taken apart and into the workshop.  The pump itself turned out to be by far the heaviest of the three lifts.  I'm thinking it was in the neighborhood of 300 lbs by itself.  The 5hp electric motor wasn't bad, I'm thinking about 75 lbs.  I don't think the tank itself was as heavy as the pump, but it was awfully bulky trying to maneuver it on to the furniture dolly. 

Onkeludo, you suggested the block and tackle and a big tree.  In actuality, I used a block and tackle and a 1/2 x 7" lag bolt buried 12' up in the telephone pole in my front yard.  We'll see how long the bolt stays up there before the power company sees it and makes me take it down. 

All in all, everything worked out fine.  I didn't break anything (equipment or me) and that cold beer after work never tasted better. 

So now, tomorrow I'll start putting it all back together and wiring it into the panel.  The guy who sold it to me said it would pull about 28 amps at 208.  Now, to me that says buy a double 15 amp (total of 30) breaker to go in the panel.  Anybody out there disagree and think it needs to be a double 30 (total of 60).

thanks
My house building blog:

http://n74tg.blogspot.com/