T Posts in Sonotubes

Started by Mad Dog, August 11, 2008, 11:36:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mad Dog

Just wondering if anyone has used t posts set in the concrete instead of rebar.  I've got a bunch sitting in the barn, and would rather use something I already have.  Pound a couple for each tube into the gravel footing, and then pour concrete.  I have seen a couple people mention this on other websites, but was wondering if anyone has 1st hand experience, and how it turned out?  Thanks. ;D
I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

glenn kangiser

You will likely never find an engineer that will spec them but that doesn't mean they wouldn't work.

The shape of them may tend to want to cause fractures in the concrete -  more than standard rebar would - possibly wrap rings around them with 3/8 rebar to tie it together.  T bars are only deformed on one side so the rest is not as slip resistant as standard rebar.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

TheWire

If the T posts are painted, the concrete may not bond to them very good.

Mad Dog

Ok, thanks for the responses.  So, I've been looking through the plans I received and checking out the website, and it looks like there is only one rebar through an 8" sonotube that I'll be using(based on the deep pier).  Is that standard practice, or should I use 2 pieces vertically tied together, and down into the footing?  ???

glenn kangiser

Maybe overkill but I like 4 with rings around them like the engineers usually design  Things stay together then even if a crack develops.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Mad Dog

Thanks for the quick response Glenn.  I plan on moving forward with this on Saturday with the help of my nephew.  He's flying in on Friday night from the lower 48 with my parents, and would rather help me do this work, than spend time in "the city" wandering museums.  Good thing I've got my girlfriend to act as chaperone for my parents, so I can get this work done.  I even told him I'd let him get up in the backhoe, he's 14 and real excited about that. 

I'll be sure and post pics of the progress, so you guys can see what I'm doing, and point out any "mistakes" I need to correct along the way.

Oh, one other thing.  After I get the concrete poured, I won't be working on the beams and joists until after they leave at the end of August.  Is it ok to leave the tubes and concrete uncovered, or should I cover them.  Thanks again in advance. :)

glenn kangiser

I wouldn't worry about them, but concrete cures better if kept damp for a long time - you may want to throw some plastic over them and a bit water in the hole  to keep damp for a bit better cure -  for me though - I still wouldn't worry about them --

Form removal is often spec'd to be done after 7 days or later so as not to disturb things , but it is also often common to be done sooner.  I like to wait at least 7 days to put loads on the concrete and know of a big contractor big building rush job in NY that toppled over due to building on it the next day after poured - people died.  I have worked contract for that company and it is always the same ---push - push - push. 

I don't work for them anymore due to always getting beat out of money at the end of the contract.  Just the way they do business.

Mad Dog

Thanks Glenn, I'll probably just leave them uncovered then, since the forecast is for showers daily for the next week or so.  I knew concrete cured better slower, and when kept wet longer.  Also with less water in the mix for reduced water evaporation/dissapation, looks like that's what I'll do, just hadn't worked with the sonotubes before.

I hear ya about some of these companies.  Like I said, I operate heavy machinery, and have seen first hand what happens when things get pushed too quickly for the almighty dollar.  I feel like that to be just left alone and let me do my job, things get accomplished more quickly, and the job gets done right the first time, as opposed to the micromanagers who've got a whip out to go, go, go.