Poured vs block

Started by kalstar, August 29, 2009, 03:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalstar

Just as a base line how much saving is there in having someone build a 20x28 block wall as compared to have a poured basement?

n74tg

The block wall you could do yourself (lots of savings).  Pouring your own basement walls; I doubt anyone would try that.

If you used the dry-stack method, you definately could build it yourself.  If you want to read about dry-stack, it's in my blog below.

I know you said getting someone to build it...but I just don't believe in hiring things done; that you can do for yourself. 
My house building blog:

http://n74tg.blogspot.com/

kalstar

What did it end up costing you with everything and how long/high were your walls  I would need a total of 100 feet of wall 8 feet high.

P.S I read your blog....very very impressive!

n74tg

Let me think.  144 linear feet of block wall.  Two walls 57 feet long, 3 ft height on west end, 8 ft height on east end (average ht 5.5 ft)
and one 30 ft wall, by 8 ft tall. 

My blocks cost me $1500 and the surface bonding cement cost $450.  I expect I spent an additional $100 on rebar (that runs vertically inside a dry-stack wall). And probably another $100 on concrete (gravel, sand, Portland...I mix my own) to fill the bond beam at the top of the wall. 

So, all together, about $2100...Oh, and that includes the 5 x 8 tornado shelter built into my crawlspace. 

My house building blog:

http://n74tg.blogspot.com/

Bishopknight

Having done block, next time I would go poured. Concrete is $90 a yard delivered. If you figure out how much concrete you'd need, then find a bid on forms, it may come out to the same price. And with all things being equal, I'd take the poured wall in a heartbeat, trust me, its A LOT OF FREAKING WORK.

Okie_Bob

Wow, Bishop, concrete is really cheap up in Maine!!! I had a driveway poured back in July and down here I paid $130 /yd PLUS a delivery charge PLUS if you don't move fast enough they now charge a 'waiting' charge. Thankfully, I had a contractor do the work and he had a good crew so I didn't have to pay for the 'waiting' charge. And this was a 30 sq yd driveway! So not a small job I where I would have paid a premium for the concrete. At $90 delivered I'd concrete my whole place!
Okie Bob

glenn kangiser

We are up there too, Bob - Over $150 in places.

Nice to see you here. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Okie_Bob

Hey Glenn, always good to see you mi amigo. You keep en these youngsters on the straight and narrow?
I try to pop in on occasion just to make sure you are taking care of things!
Have a good one,
Okie Bob
PS, take care of this newby, OkieJohn2..got to be a great guy!

Shorty

Quote from: n74tg on August 30, 2009, 09:28:55 AM
Let me think.  144 linear feet of block wall.  Two walls 57 feet long, 3 ft height on west end, 8 ft height on east end (average ht 5.5 ft)
and one 30 ft wall, by 8 ft tall. 

My blocks cost me $1500 and the surface bonding cement cost $450.  I expect I spent an additional $100 on rebar (that runs vertically inside a dry-stack wall). And probably another $100 on concrete (gravel, sand, Portland...I mix my own) to fill the bond beam at the top of the wall. 

So, all together, about $2100...Oh, and that includes the 5 x 8 tornado shelter built into my crawlspace. 

This is my first posting and didn't know how to do a regular posting so I just did the Quote thing to get started.... so how do I do it?

Anyway I just got a quote on Friday, 116 Lineal feet 8" x 8' wall and footing - $7,424.00, 32 Lineal feet center footing - $448.00, 2 egress window bucks - $170.00, this was for a 8 foot basement. For a 9 foot basement it increased the total price $2,204.00

I just stumbled onto this site as I'm thinking about building a Bermed house. Lots of good info here. Sure wished this would have been around when I built my first home back in '77.

glenn kangiser

Hi Shorty.  Just hit the Reply button at the bottom and you will have a place to post your message.  w*

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Shorty

Hey thanks I was wondering where it was.

glenn kangiser

Quote from: Okie_Bob on September 04, 2009, 01:20:44 PM
Hey Glenn, always good to see you mi amigo. You keep en these youngsters on the straight and narrow?
I try to pop in on occasion just to make sure you are taking care of things!
Have a good one,
Okie Bob
PS, take care of this newby, OkieJohn2..got to be a great guy!

Hey BoB, where is that straight and narrow? [noidea'

Just be sure to keep popping in -we enjoy your company and input.

Any Okie is a friend of mine, BoB.  I need to justify all of the Okie rigging I do and of course it is one of the things that keeps things running smoothly here in the mountains where we may be short on parts but long on ingenuity.  Okie rigging fills the gap... it can't be a bad thing.. [waiting]  :)