Complexity? dif's between 1 1/2 story and Victorian

Started by C.Oden, January 25, 2013, 12:36:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C.Oden

I have spent countless hours here, and I do mean countless!, and not sure is my lil' ol' mind can see where the big differences between building of these 2 are? Roofline maybe?

Like many I dig the look of the whole Enchilada thing but also dig Mogies and others who have done the 1 1/2s so well.
So honestly I am somewhat torn I guess but leaning maybe still to the Vic.

My background is kinda a jack of all trades and master of none. I've build some small outbuildings, put on roofing and siding, run wire and some plumbing, tiled 1000s of s/f and done some wood flooring. That said - I usually need a reference book to get these things done and Lord knmows I have millions of 'em. :-[

I likely won't touch the foundation myself (would if it was pier but you mostly have chased me off that thought). Will be securing property this spring and starting to clear and build this summer. What I want to do is decide, get the plans and sign up on the other site to get mods and such (or should one wait on this part until they actually started?)

I'm talking out loud but need to so I don't end up with 2, if not 3 sets of plans I order.
Thanks all !!! ;D

roadtripray

I feel your pain.  I had the hardest time deciding which plans to order.  I myself and starting with the builder's cottage from the Enchilada set after deliberating for a long time.  My decision was ultimately about building the smallest, cheapest thing I could to start with to make the most of my time and money available.  In fact, now that I have the BC plans, I'm spending a lot of time deciding exactly where on my lot to build it based on the existing septic and well with an eye towards adding onto it in the not-too-distant future.

Good luck!
Ray

C.Oden

Ray;

hear ya. I'm still a bit baffled. And wondering -  just how much more complex the Vic really is vs the 1 1/2 story?
Just can't seem to get my hands around the whole thing :-\

Jeff922

Here is my opinion after building a Victoria's:  My Vic has all the bump-outs and porches; this means one central structure with three bump-outs and two porches.  These details slow the building process down quite a bit.  The formwork for the foundation is complicated (it's basically a big cross).  In my case, there was three different roof pitches (12/12, 5/12, 3/12), three different roof types, walls that intersect at different heights, as well as roof-lines that intersect at different heights.  It's complicated, and it's small scale adds to the difficulty (many times I wondered "how the heck am I gonna fit that in this wall" regarding plumbing, elect, windows, etc.).  It would be considerably easier to just build a big box with one roof over it.  Colonial style homes are the most cost efficient homes to build.  That said, the Victoria is a beautiful house from every angle.  So the question becomes, "how much does aesthetics mean to you?" and "are you willing to do the work?".  Also I need to add that the plans for the Victoria are really great; every detail you need is included and well thought out.
"They don't grow trees so close together that you can't ski between them"

C.Oden

See Jeff - you are what caused me my angst on it all in the first place as I watched yours evolve. [cool]
I was content .... real content on a 20 x XXX and then I started watching yours.
I think if one was to be fair and help me out on my dilema one could move west for awhile and lend a hand. ;D

Your place is beautiful ..... makes me slobber on my keyboard.   ;) ;)

rick91351

CO you are not the only one slobbering over the key board when they look at that thread.  That is a very good study on a very well designed home.

:D Rick
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

cholland

I went back and forth on deciding the same thing.  I even sketched up a 20' wide version of the VC.  Eventually settled on a 20x32 with plans to add on.  The VC is a very attractive floor plan, but like Roadtripray and Jeff, I'm thinking the 20 x XX is most efficient.