Stairframe?

Started by Chuck_Surette, October 17, 2007, 10:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck_Surette

Hi Guys,

I'm contemplating a major stair repair and am curious to know if anyone here has heard of, or used this product.  It looks pretty neat & seems a lot easier than cutting stringers:

Stairframe is a computer designed metal framed stair system that ties right into the framing and is extremely easy to use.  For beginners, stairways are probably the most daunting part of building.  With this system, even novice carpenters can get their stairway right.

http://www.stairframe.com

glenn kangiser

I would bet they are expensive, and may or may not fit your decor.  Haven't used them - if in an inspected area they will require stamped - probably wet stamped engineering.  Just thoughts. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Chuck_Surette

Just gave them a call stringers (14 risers) and attaching hardware are $331 (Can) plus shipping.

I wonder what total package will be: treads, spindles etc...

I'm trying to balance against quotes we're getting from stairbuilders. (about $100/rise)

John Raabe

I guess that cost would have to be compared to three precut 2x12 stringers. In other words, including the labor to cut them to site specific dimensions.

My concern would be that you often don't know the actual dimensions you need for the cuts until you have all the floor finishes determined. It would be real easy to order them too early and then have the wrong setup.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Chuck_Surette

There is some margin with the stairframe (+/- 2") which would allow for variations with finished dimensions.  I guess the slotted mounting bracket allows you to change the tilt of the stairs slightly.

1st quote in from a stairbuilder: for clear pine, 14 risers, with handrail and spindles, closed stringers $2,300.00 Can. (Installed)

John Raabe

That might work out pretty well then Chuck. Especially if it allows you to tackle the labor on a project you would not otherwise do.

Let us know how it works out for you.
None of us are as smart as all of us.