Facia/rafter/shiething detail

Started by cedarglen, January 15, 2008, 11:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cedarglen

Above is my detail for the rafter/facia/shiething from John's universal 2 story plan set. I am putting up my 2x6 facia and roof shiething on Thursday. I am shiething with 7/16 OSB. Do I want to nail the sheithing 6" o.c. to the facia, or just to the rafters? It seems like the OSB will deform a little at the edge because of the gap between the OSB nad the facia, but it has to be nailed right?

PEG688

Yes nail it , gently , two nails between each rafter eq. spaced.

For a top notch job cut the roof pitch angle on the top edge of the facia board.

Also add what called Style "D" flashing, under the first course of shingles. Another option is to run a course of #2 wood shingle first, then roofing felt/   paper over that , then your double , one upside down , one staggered  joint regular shingle.

Follow the destruction on the shingle package, generally there is a starter shingle detail on the package.

The style D  or the wood shingle course prevents the overhanging shingle edge from drooping into the gutter , which leads to it breaking off and water getting at the roof sheathing.

Link : http://www.constructionmetals.com/Flashing/style_d.html

Home Despot carries it around here , few use it , few have nice looking roof eaves. YMMV. 
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

MountainDon

Quote from: PEG688 on January 16, 2008, 12:12:13 AM
For a top notch job cut the roof pitch angle on the top edge of the facia board.
That's a tip to remember!
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

PEG688

Quote from: MountainDon on January 16, 2008, 12:15:07 AM
Quote from: PEG688 on January 16, 2008, 12:12:13 AM
That's a tip to remember!

There's a million of them , all a guys gotta do is remember then all d*
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

cedarglen

PEG. thank you again for A+ advice

Chuck