Doing your own electric work?

Started by Beavers, May 18, 2009, 06:15:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erin

Quote from: Beavers on June 10, 2009, 05:32:59 PM
I'm thinking of doing the same thing llamaman.  Get moved in then do the electrical work.  I can run a couple of extension cords from the teporary power pole to use in the meantime. 

I figure this move will probably piss off the inspector...since I'm "trying to beat the system".  The way the law reads though, it looks like they have no choice but to let me do my own work then. 

Be sure to let me know if you find any loopholes in this...I'll let you know if I have any luck also. 
Somewhere in the law, it specifically said that it was not designed to prevent homeowners from doing their own work.  So I'd think that if you were "living" there, it'd be fine.  (Do you have COs, though?  I'd be kind of surprised if you did)
The wise woman builds her own house... Proverbs 14:1

ScottA

Beat the system every chance you get I say. If you can get away with it do it but don't take short cuts that make your work sub-standard. I'd try to meet every code even if doing it on the side.

MountainDon

Good point Scott. Even though we might have circumvented an inspection process here or there  :o the underlying work is kosher.   8)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Beavers

I've don't have city or county building inspector in my area, the only inspection is the State electrical inspector.  So I should be able to avoid the catch 22 situation Mountain Don mentioned.

I've got the NEC, and the IRC code books, and plan on building to code.  I'll still have to get a permit for the electrical and have it inspected by the State.

MountainDon

Even though building inspections are not in the picture you are technically supposed to meet the energy codes according to the IECC info.

I had to install better windows than originally planned for the cabin.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.