Pump freezing danger

Started by Yankeesouth, November 11, 2013, 01:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yankeesouth

This is probably an unanswerable question.   How long and how cold does the weather need to be blow freezing to be a danger to an above ground well jet pump? 

Basically....I have an above ground (well) jet pump at my cabin.  Temps have been in the high 40's and low 50's for about the past few weeks during the day and upper 20's (once or twice) but mostly mid to low 30's at night.  Forecast is calling for a couple days of highs in the low 30's and lows in the low 20's-high teens then back up into the high 40's-low 50's during the day. 

I don't want to winterize the place until hunting season is over. (Trying to squeeze out a few more weeks!) I am not real worried about my pipes (pex) freezing...... but am I taking a huge risk in cracking the housing of my jet pump or ruining my bladder in my pressure tank with a couple days of 20 degree nighttime temps? 

hpinson

Water freezes at 32 degrees F. So long as ambient temperature is above that no problem. As soon as it gets below that freezing begins. Weather a short freeze / thaw cycle will cause your pump to fail would be hard to answer (of course don't try and run it frozen), but the water expansion to ice as it cools and contraction as it warms is certainly not going to be good for it, and you are taking a risk.  Can you install some electrical heater tape around the pump to protect from periodic light freezes?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-6-ft-Electric-Water-Pipe-Heat-Cable-HC6/202262328#.UoEsl2eA3yE

mnboatman

Quote from: Yankeesouth on November 11, 2013, 01:36:30 PM
This is probably an unanswerable question.   How long and how cold does the weather need to be blow freezing to be a danger to an above ground well jet pump? 

Basically....I have an above ground (well) jet pump at my cabin.  Temps have been in the high 40's and low 50's for about the past few weeks during the day and upper 20's (once or twice) but mostly mid to low 30's at night.  Forecast is calling for a couple days of highs in the low 30's and lows in the low 20's-high teens then back up into the high 40's-low 50's during the day. 

I don't want to winterize the place until hunting season is over. (Trying to squeeze out a few more weeks!) I am not real worried about my pipes (pex) freezing...... but am I taking a huge risk in cracking the housing of my jet pump or ruining my bladder in my pressure tank with a couple days of 20 degree nighttime temps?

I put my lake side pump in an insulated box and  keep it warm with a thermostatically controlled 150 light bulb. It has survived 20 degree weather and a 24 hour power outage during a 14" spring snow storm.

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10726.msg136631#msg136631

This gives me an extra month of use in the spring and fall where I don't worry about freezing.
It is now shut down for the winter.

JRR

Can you just pump up a couple of plastic barrels of water, stored inside, and go about winterizing your plumbing ... while your fingers still work?

Yankeesouth

I do use a seconday source of water in the winter when I go up.

Thanks for the replies... I know the water will eventually freeze but being the temps have been in the average range of low 40's high 30's I was just wondering if a one or two day cold snap would freeze everything solid.  I guess I'll find out this weekend! 

Squirl

There is an old recommendation of letting the faucet drip to keep the water running and above freezing water flowing through.  I got the information through word of mouth, so I don't know if this is a viable solution.