Noble Homes- kit for the do it yourself

Started by HomeschoolMom, August 11, 2009, 12:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don_P

I really like this house, as does about everyone. another story I've heard that relates to the recent repairs as it was "falling in the water". Wright specified the construction of the porches down to the steel reinforcement, which was woefully inadequate (he was no engineer). The builder argued and finally snuck in a fair amount of extra rebar on his dime. It has proven to still be insufficient and has been redone.
Quotebut Wright was Wright
;D
Some of his die hard fans say that the weight of the builder's extra rebar is why it had trouble  d*

anyway,
I sketched up what I hope is a simple show and tell of several ways to do post and beam. The three bents on the left end are composed of a structural ridge, supported on 2 columns from which three rafter pairs hang. The next bent is a kingpost truss. The far bent is a center post supporting a pair of rafters. Any of these (and many more) can be done with timbers and various steel connections.

Since you posted a link to a glulam kit Michelle, the AITC is the glulam folks. I've got their design guide here, it goes into serious detail, this download is a small appendix of details in the back of that but it gives some good background;
http://www.aitc-glulam.org/shopcart/Pdf/aitc_104_2003.pdf

This is another type of connection I mocked up from a test report, it's being research at Perdue. Simple cuts and bores.

HomeschoolMom

"Country Houses" has a lot of great houses but I really found "Small Houses" also from FineHomebuilding to be more inspiring!  I would love to add both books to my personal library, and probably will.  I still would love a book called "Simple Houses"  ;)  BUT, I can take a lot of the ideas and put them into a simplier plan.  Basically, I would like a simple rectangle with maybe king post trusses or not  :)  I also saw some great truss ideas in the Country Houses book...oh the choices  ;D
Michelle
Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys
Married to Jason, Self Employed

Wanting an earth bermed hybrid timberframe...just need some inheritance  ;)  Will never have another mortgage again!

JRR

Interesting connection, Don_P.  But would much be lost it the "pipe" were nested in the crotch space between the two wooden components (requiring no boring)?  Then a second threaded connector could tie the two together near the "point".

Don_P

Almost all would be lost. The thrust forces trying to slide the top chord off the bottom chord are resisted by the wood of the bore surrounding the pipe, the threaded rods are simply holding the wood tightly to the crosspipe.

Split rings or spike grids embedded in the junction would work doing what you describe. There's many ways to do this.

This is a timberframe notch for resisting those forces. The area of wood beyond the notch is sufficient in shear to resist being split off, the mating faces of the tweo chords in the notch have sufficient area to avoid being crushed by the forces. Just showing how all these things are considered choices.

poppy

Michelle, I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed "Country Houses."  I haven't seen "Small Houses."  How small are we talking?

I got the "Country Houses" book at Half Price Books; I love that place.

Good luck on finding a book about simple houses.  [waiting] I don't think people are motivated to publish those kind of books.

HomeschoolMom

The Small Houses are not that small.  I consider them big enough houses.  Again, they aren't very simple.  I did see house that was based off of FLW in there and it gave me a few ideas on possible layout.  Still, it was fairly simple but not MY simple.  Just give me a rectangle! d*
Michelle

Wanting an earth bermed hybrid timberframe...just need some inheritance  ;)  Will never have another mortgage again!

HomeschoolMom

Michelle

poppy

Michelle, thanks for posting the link to the FLW article.  I have read about that housing development before.

It's hard to believe that someone would paint over mahogany woodwork, particularily in a Wright house.  >:(

There was a similar article several months back about a FLW house in the exclusive Indian Hill community north of Cincinnati.  The house was modernized without loosing the integrity of the original design.  I think the new owners even added a garage.