Pro-Panel ridge vent...

Started by NM_Shooter, May 05, 2008, 11:15:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NM_Shooter

For venting the ridge of a pro panel roof, and keeping bugs and critters out, is this an acceptable method?  :

Leave 1" gap in decking both sides along roof ridge.

Place hardware shop screen along length of ridge.

Underlayment / metal roof install, holding back metal roof to reveal screen vent.

Cap with ridge flashing.

Would there be any issues with blown rain getting up under the ridge cap?  (12:12 pitch) I have previously always installed the foam seal at the ridge.  My other structures were scissor trusses so I had the ability to vent out the gable ends.

Thanks,

Frank
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MountainDon

The one section of our house roof that has a ridge vent uses what looks like a 3M sanding pad. Like pot scrub pad stuff.

Materials came from Metal Mart in ABQ.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Frank I did the exact thing.  A little cheaper than what Don was referring to. I went one better by using 1/4" rabbit wire then the screen as my major concern was the bats and flying squirrels in additional to the insects. On my house I used a commercial product that you nailed the ridge cap shingles on through it. But that was shingle instead of metal.  The soffit vents are screen covered as well.