Mobile home frame strong enough for 12x18 or 14x24 Little House?

Started by hnash53, February 27, 2013, 05:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hnash53

I notice that there are lots of mobile homes that eventually get scrapped and the frames sold for the iron.  Sometimes one can pick up old mobile homes for free... just needs to be moved and it's yours for free.

But I was wondering if one could use a 12' wide or 14' wide mobile home frame as the floor for the 12' or 14' Little House.  Build the floor using 2x6 or 2x8 for joists and the rim joist to match the width.  Length could vary.  As long as the frame was leveled, blocked, and tied down, wouldn't this work?

Short version:  Are mobile home frames stout enough to support stick built framing?

Thanks for your comments.

Hal Nash

backattheshack

i dont see why it wouldnt work ive thought about this myself.as long as it was supported im sure i could build something better than most mobile home factorys...lol

ChuckinVa

I'm not sure you could transport a larger load on the axles. I would think that would be the drawback, not the steel that supports the house.
ChuckinVa
Authentic Appalachian American

hnash53

I've read of some Tiny Houses being built on trailers and I've found a few other links that even show progressive pics as they built it.

Some old mobiles may have used slightly smaller lumber for walls, etc., and so I wonder if the trailer frame/chassis can handle the added weight of standard dimensional lumber.  And I'd also like to know if the trailer frame would handle a small loft portion.  Metal roofing would be lighter than asphalt shingles.

Plus, if the trailer frame was able to support the weight, I'd be able to move it... not long distances but just locally.

hnash53

I hadn't thought of the axles being the weak link. ???  Good idea.  Any way to beef them up to handle the load, or would that be too much work, time, $ than just buying a "real" trailer that can do the job?

ChuckinVa

A couple of things come to mind. One is moving a 14 X 24 foot trailer may require permits because of the width. Not unlike moving any mobile home. Two the added weight could be offset by adding additional axles. I think the Little House plans I have seen are usually much smaller than what you are talking about building. I think their smallness is what allows them to "get by" the SQFT obstacles of a small home plus the portability. Hopefully someone will come a long that can comment more on the portability of a unit stick built this size. I like the concept. Good luck !
ChuckinVa
Authentic Appalachian American

MountainDon

If you are starting off on a 12 or 14 wide chassis I would think there is a good chance that if you keep the same number of axles, but shorten the unit, your gross weight could be handled by the axles. Chopping off the extra length aft of the axles is easy. the distance before the axles will need some welding.

If moving over a public road permits are almost a certainty. Power and telephone line clearances a potential issue.

I have no idea if the increased weight per sq ft because of using conventional sized materials is going to overload the chassis itself. probably depends on the age and standards it was built to.

Is it really worth the potential issues?

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rick91351

What are you planing on doing with this critter?  Tow it or is it a cabin? 

Check and see if the mobile has its axles and tongue still.  Lots of times they are stripped and sold back.  Next I think you will find mobiles are a lot heaver than you are assuming and should not have a problem handling the weight at all if the frame is shortened corretly.

Demolishing it from the frame is not a walk in the park as well.  If it were every scrap dealer in the country would be lined up for them.  They are a real mess to pull apart and you might even have to legally pay a hazmat fee if it has old asbestos flooring, lead paint, or have been a meth lab ???

State / County permitting you will most likely have to set it as a regular manufactured home if it is a cabin.  Most time that involves footings with deadmen to cable to and stands for blocking as required by HUD standards.  IRC does not apply to manufactured homes HUD code does.  IRC does apply to modular homes not manufactured homes.  If it keeps its frame it is manufactured under HUD code.  If it looses its frame it modular and is IRC.  We have been through the Manufactured - Modular Hell last year.  Whole other story and a lot of $$$ for nothing.  We are having to fight to get back.  Grrr there I vented.....  :D

I think myself I would put this project in the same file I keep my making a cabin out of a shipping container.  Can it be done?  Yep.  But WHY?                   

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

hpinson

I have an old mobile home on my property and am considering cutting up and using the frame steel I-Beams for floor girders for my build.  They are very stout.  Don't know if I will, but I am considering it.  They are about the only thing that is reusable.

backattheshack

hnash53

Thanks for all the info.

Here's how I might use a mobile home frame.  I would cut it down to the desired length, haul it to the land, level it, block it up, brace it, tie it down, and then build the cabin on the frame.  It would be semi-permanent, but I would at least retain the potential of moving it should that be necessary at some point in the future.

The cabin style would be something like what are now being marketed as "park models."  Separate decking could then be built all around the cabin.

So, again, thank you all for your input.  All the comments give me things to think about and consider and reconsider.

Don_P

What is the frame? Is it a consistently sized C channel with no damage top or bottom?

backattheshack

i really like the idea! alot of metal there to use i drug home a 70 foot single wide frame once ended up cutting it down to 25 feet long re welded tounge on and made a nice flatbed deck trailer out of it.worked great bought new tires and wheels for it that and the 2xs were the biggest expense but was a nice trailer.very strong but not real heavy for its size.i hope you do something on this project so we can follow along..