DeWalt 18V on the way out?

Started by davidj, April 16, 2012, 09:43:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidj

I made a quick trip to the store on Sunday to get another 18V Lithium DeWalt drill so I had an extra one for the city house.  But I failed!  It turns out DeWalt are moving to a new "20V" system with incompatible batteries and most of the kits (including all with Lithium batteries) in HD and OSH were 20V.

http://www.dewalt.com/20vmax

They claim they're gonna keep the 18V system around but I'm guessing this is the beginning of the end. 

BTW, this is why I needed a drill:

This had been pretty cracked for a while then just fell down in the middle of the night with a huge crash.  Makes a change when plaster collapse disasters aren't a direct consequence of me doing something stupid!

Squirl

I have a relative that sells high end tools to contractors.  He said he would only buy them for corded versions.  He told me the manufacturers usually change battery packs every few years and he frequently has customers complain they can't get a new battery pack.  It is one of his largest customer complaints.

rick91351

Amazon - DEWALT DCD760KL 18-Volt 1/2-Inch Cordless Compact Lithium-Ion Drill/Driver Kit  - Drill - two batteries and case $179.99.  I own one of those.  Good outfit has performed well except for a real radical Irwin bit that I have it just will not turn it at all.  Well maybe one hole.  But goes a long time with a inch or inch and a quarter spade bit.   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

rocking23nf

Im not very familiar with plaster, but why would you need a drill for that project?

davidj

Quote from: rocking23nf on April 16, 2012, 01:23:30 PM
Im not very familiar with plaster, but why would you need a drill for that project?

• To screw the remaining plaster to the lath so it stays up during the work (maybe with some glue too)
  • To attach some drywall in the hole.  Typically I've fixed this stuff by using a drywall patch, filling the gaps with e.g. fixall then skim coating once or twice to match the existing plaster.
I guess one day I should learn to plaster, but even if you do that then you need to either pretty much pull the whole ceiling down or find some way of attaching the existing plaster.

Other suggestions welcomed...

rocking23nf

interesting, i figured you would just climb up a ladder and slop plaster all over it.

in my new house, they said they use very little screws anymore for drywall, all interior walls are glued, and exterior were screwed on the edges, rest glued.

no pops yet after  1 year.