adding foundation to existing cabin

Started by Mikey, April 01, 2005, 12:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikey

[ ???We bought existing cabin with no foundation
in Flagstaff, Az.and need to get the frame walls off
the ground .  Cabin size 20'x16' with greenhouse and loft . JUst frame walls no insulation,or drywall
at this point.  It snows a lot here,the soil is sandy
with limestone underneath.

Shelley

Suppose you could jack it up, maybe create one of Johns pier foundations, but if it were me, I'd dismantle the greenhouse, build myself a proper foundation and then hire a crane to set it into place.

Shouldn't cost > a few hundred dollars providing you're ready for him and there's access.  Have to be creative about attaching the sill plate.  Where's Mr. Creative today?  Is there plumbing to worry about?  Assuming not.

What's the frostline up there?  Maybe build a basement while you're at it.
It's a dry heat.  Right.

glenn kangiser

Hi Mikey-

Sounds like an interesting project.  I assume there are some large frame members of some kind to  support the floor joists.  My brother jacked up part of my dads house with power poles - and wood blocks near the edge of the house because there was not enough room to get under it.

He said, "Give me a lever long enough and I'll move the world."  or wait a minute-- maybe that wasn't my brother - maybe that was some famous old guy. ;D

Tell us more-  

Weathers clearing up around here- I may have to work once in a while -  :-/
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.