Who uses these small houses permanently?

Started by Jared Drake, August 15, 2005, 10:17:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobbiest

And we wonder why the rest of the world hates us (though our government and media would have us believe otherwise).  Waste, waste, waste.  A friend of mine once wrote and recorded a regee song called "throw away world".  That about sums it up.

Greenbank

When I was a teen, my parents built a 2800 sq. ft. house. I couldn't believe how huge it was. If you go to most "we're building a house" forums on the net these days, I would say 4000 sq. ft. is average. Where do these people get the money? I do "OK" but couldn't possibly afford to build that much, nor would I want to.

Jared

QuoteWhen I was a teen, my parents built a 2800 sq. ft. house. I couldn't believe how huge it was. If you go to most "we're building a house" forums on the net these days, I would say 4000 sq. ft. is average. Where do these people get the money? I do "OK" but couldn't possibly afford to build that much, nor would I want to.

That's part of America's problem today. They CAN'T afford it, but they do it anyway. I've got a friend who admits that if he missed one week of work with no pay he'd lose everything. And I know he would. That's no way to live. I'd like to know if I lost my job I'd keep everything except the luxury of eating at Eureka pizza

Look for books on Japanese living.  They know how to live really small.   Regular living spaces may serve as bedrooms (pull out the futons).  Thin paper walls.  

See if you can squeeze in a second 1/2 bath.  For 6 people, it'll be awfully handy (either that, or an outhouse).  

Pick up boat magazines for ideas on storage, etc.  

Run 15"-18" short wall cabinets around the top of the walls of each room for storage (so you get a coved ceiling) or shelves around the top of each room.   You'd still have plenty of standing room underneath.  Make those built-in captain bunkbeds for the kids (storage in the headboard/footboard/drawers underneath).