Consequences of building without a permit

Started by cabin fever, August 19, 2014, 07:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erin

Quote from: flyingvan on August 22, 2014, 02:06:03 PM
I believe all regulations and rules start form a good place and need, but invariably evolve past where they need to be so it becomes more of a power control issue.  Whenever I get a bit frustrated about building codes and permits, I can just go 30 miles south and see what it's like without them

I live in an area with no building permits or code inspection beyond septic.  Most of the rural plains have little, to no, code enforcement. 
It looks just like anywhere else in the US...

I realize this does nothing to help the OP et. al. trying to figure out work-arounds, but why on earth would someone want to build their home in an area that is so restrictive?   ???
The wise woman builds her own house... Proverbs 14:1

speedfunk

I'm just throwing this out there. 

I wanted a cabin on this piece of property that was in a designated wetland.  By a body of water like yours (a 10' creek though).  I knew this going in .  This was on a main (back-ish) road.  You could see whole lot from road.  So i dropped a "skid-able" shelter (10x16) on the property.  Well wouldn't you know i got a letter from the county saying they saw I was building a log cabin and I would need a permit .  I dont think any neighbors let them know ...I think they were just fishing for revenue and saw it passing.  Well I had 5 days to get an answer back so I sent a certified hand written letter saying that it was a "movable" structure and that its size was below what they deemed necessary for a permit.  I also told them that it was a temporary spot for it and it was slated to be moved in a month or two. I also expressed my strong displeasure :D of being harassed by them (this is not the first time i've had to deal with them). It still might be moved BUT its been there for a year now and has blended in to the landscape.  There was no response from building officials.   Seriously though the ability to move sheds out of the way if things change is also a plus.  So IF you had to move it you could with out risking structure...
GL.

NM_Shooter

I'd have a Tuff Shed delivered, and use it ONLY for tool storage.  (wink)
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Watch Ryder

I've seen the tax accessor come along one time in two years. He never looks around, just at wherever whoever has put a permit request in, then he drives on back again. Where my little piece of paradise is he'd need to cross small rivers and hike down and up a mountain to get to it. I can't see him going to that extent. LOL. Plus no-where is on the grid, no garbage, no mailing address (everyone uses PO Boxes), not even fire dept comes over.

The sheriff or one of his deputies drives past once a year (I think he's more curious what we get up to) and doesn't get out and just cruises on back to the far-off town.
I think apart from the wealthy vacationer types everyone just does their own thing off-permit. There are covenants which are pretty tame and even some of them are given a slap and told to quieten down. LOL.

I think unless someone complained NOBODY is going to be digging around checking. There was one time when that nearly happened but this involved major landscaping that was ruining the water-quality of another neighbor (who was a lawyer and ready to explode!). Thankfully he kept his cool and it all settled down. I've built some gates and a cable-lift that most folks like, one guy didn't but you can't please everyone.