Mountain cabin 14 x 14

Started by Epiphany, February 03, 2006, 05:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amanda_931

Probably doesn't need too much underneath it (and it looks a lot better than the Northern jobs).  But if you have to get a regulator for it, go for the camp stoves--current crop of match light ones (sub-50 bucks) has something like 11,000 BTUs per burner, integral regulator, runs on a grill gas bottle with an adaptor hose.  The more BTU's the better, up to the point when it won't be certified for indoors--those turkey fryers are outdoors only.  

I've used the camp stoves (10,000 BTUs/burner) on a metal toolbox for long-term use, just on somebody's table once when there were about three of us doing stir-fries, and they were fine.  One of those decorative tempered glass jobs sold as cutting boards might be nearly perfect as a protective surface.

J(Guest)

As far as a shower...

when I lived on a sailboat we used the "little black shower bags".  However, we found that they lack pressure and always have to be above you.  As well, they weren't very durable.

An excellent alternative was to buy an unused pump style bug repellant sprayer, black plastic.

You just put water in it, set it in the sun for an hour or so, and when you're ready for a shower pump it a bit to give you pressure and you have a nice shower.  It proved VERY durable, and still is one of my favorite showering experiences out in the open.

j

Amanda_931

Lifting a full black bag job up to a tiny hook way above your head can be problematic as well.  

There are also a couple of different little propane heater/battery (D-cell or rechargeable) pump water heaters.  The pumps do tend to be wimpy, though.  

So a tank you can pressurize either heated in the sun or filled with water heated elsewhere may be the best alternative.

Sometimes I have the warm water in a 5-gallon bucket, and a small plastic bowl (in rural Mexico it might be a gourd) to pour the water over myself.

JRR

J(Guest)

Great idea!  I'm buying one of those pump and spray (ahem, shower) units right away.