Friction tape, Drywall Screws and Jimmy Cason

Started by glenn-k, March 04, 2006, 02:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn-k

A tribute to Jimmy Cason's, my wife's and several other forum members home state.  Stumbled upon this doing a search on the history of friction tape - which is currently holding my broken computer power cord together.  I think it was originally made for flat belt drive pulleys on steam engines and such to keep the belts from slipping as they were powering the old sawmills and other machinery.

BalingWire-DuctTape-DrywallScrews-Caulking

An interesting link from this site to Texas -mostly old architecture.

TexasArchitecture

Page Image is from:
[url]Inez-Railroad-Laborers-Cabins[/url]

Duct Tape History

glenn-k

It was driving me crazy but I finally found a reference to the invention of friction tape.

QuoteAlan Douglas
Pocasset, Cape Cod, MA       posted 11-30-2004 12:14 PM    Edison more or less invented friction tape around 1880, for insulating wire splices, and it was used for that purpose on knob-and-tube wiring. Like duct tape, it turned out to be useful for lots of other things, like taping hockey sticks.

------------------

From this forum dealing with antique radios:
http://antiqueradios.com/forums/Forum13/HTML/004393.html

ailsaek

Would it be totally out of place, rude, and inappropriate to comment that the title of this thread struck me as very kinky?  ;)

glenn-k

Absolutely not.  I love it. ;D  He was going to let the dancing circle of hippies stay.

I can see that I'm going to have to start getting up a little bit earlier to get ahead of you, Ailsa. :-/

I hadn't thought of it that way originally but now that you mentioned it--------

What do you think Jimmy would do if we showed up at his place with a bunch of that stuff and a couple cases of beer?

Now, run and take a cold shower, Ailsa. :)

Jimmy_Cason

I've got a kinky story I love to tell........

My wife and I were shopping at the local dollar store. She shouts to me from two rows away....
"Jimmy, do you want me to get some of that stuff that all guys need and want?"
The guy next to me looks up waiting for my answer.
I meekly shout back, Uhhmmm What?????
My wife shouts again, you know, that grey tape all guys want. The kind that  fixes anything.
I never loved my wife more than right at that moment.  She wanted to give me duct tape! ;D

glenn-k

Not quite sure what you do with your duct tape Jimmy, but I'm always open to new ideas. :)