Chainsaws

Started by Bobmarlon, October 10, 2009, 02:47:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobmarlon

Hey everyone  I want to purchase a chainsaw but I don't really know much about them. 

I need it for cutting down and bucking up trees and possibly getting an Alaskan mill in the future

What kind of saws do you guys use any recomendations?
Whats a good size bar for general use not to big not to small?
I will probably looking to go used/craigslist how much should I be looking to spend?

Any information or opinions are appreciated.

glenn kangiser

Alaskan mills take a pretty good sized saw preferably with a rip chain.

You can search chainsaws on this site for more discussion.

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?action=search

I prefer Stihl or Husquavarna.  Most American saws are now pretty much crap.  Others may know of exceptions. 

A bar a little over half as long as your biggest tree could be big enough however I like more.  I prefer a 20 to 30 inch bar for most general use around here.

Size wise - I like my Stihl 044 best - for lighter - 026 I think it is.  Bigger is better for the Alaskan, however I prefer my band saw mill for making boards.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Windpower

I'll second the Stihl recomendation

my 026 is a solid saw with adequate power for any job I want to tackle (probably too light for a mill)

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

glenn kangiser

Note that these are older Stihl models and the number system is now changed I think but should be good for average size comparison.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

curlewdave

The Granberg.com site has a good chart explaining chainsaw size needed for your log sizes.

diyfrank

I recommend a new or used Stihl.
I also like the 025 , 026 or 028 Stihl for light use. They have good power and easy to carry. 16"-20" bar feels good.
The 044 is a great all around saw but they haven't made them for a while now. 28" bar feels good on one. It will drop trees up to around 30" and is comfortable to run.  I like to go for balance on bar length. Go as long as you can before the bar starts feeling heavy. If you pick it up by the handle and the bar tip points down, it will be more work to carry & fall timber. I bought a 441 Stihl last year. It replaces the 440 which replaced the 044. Anything bigger is just too much saw, unless you have 30"+ wood. I have never used an Alaskan mill, but I have ripped logs free hand and it will take a decent size saw. It's a real work out and I wouldn't expect a smaller or older saw to hold together for long under that much continuous hard work. Ebay is a good source for used saws.
Home is where you make it

OlJarhead

I used to work in a wood plant in Port Alice BC and part of my job was to lug around a big saw and cut trees out of the refuse system (bark refuse).  Some of those saws had long bars (try 4 feet on for size) but mostly 36" bars were used.

Why the long bar?  Ever tried to reach 2 feet to cut a 36" tree inside a chute with a chain in the bottom? hehe

Seriously, the saw, bar and power are all based on the job or jobs you need to perform.

More bar = more kick back = more dangerous too (had a friend of the family get killed after 28 years in logging due to a kick back).

My preference today?  Don't laugh!  Sears Craftsman 18" saw.  So easy to use, my back doesn't ache and I won't cut down bit trees with it.

For an Alaskan Mill (I have not used at all) I would think you need a top quality saw with a good bar and ripping chain up to the task but I'd talk to those who know.

Also -- I don't buy used saws.  Sorry, but I won't risk my life on someones hand me down and a chain saw is a dangerous piece of gear!

UNLESS -- unless you really know what you are doing, then you can pretty much buy any used saw you want ;) 

Think of it this way:  if you never had a shotgun in your life and wanted one would you go to a garage sale and buy that black one over there?  If you did you might get it home in time to watch the forward handgrip fall off and discover when the last owner welded the screw on they bent the barrel (yes I know someone who did this -- bought the gun that is)....

Best thing to do?  Go to a Husky dealer (Husqvarna or a Stihl dealer and talk to them).

MountainDon

Bar length, depends on the size of trees. I use 16" as very ew of my tress are larger than 12"

I love my Husky. I have a 440e.  Friends have Huskies or Stihl; the ones who cut much wood at least.

Engine size: power drops off with altitude, about 3% per 1000 feet of elevation. Don't get one too small. Also, a saw too big or the trees means you carry around more weight, un-necessary weight.

A saw big enough to run in an Alaskan mill would be much larger than I would need to cut the actual trees. And much heavier. You'd likely want two saws if going that way.

I would not buy a used saw in general. There may be some good deals out there but many will be sold because the owner is having problems. I it was a great deal, maybe... and then you might want to factor in a tuneup at the dealer.

Just my opinions.

G/L
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

poppy

I agree with others on not buying used, plus agree with others that you may want to get 2 saws.

I have an Echo 300 series with 18" bar that works fine for most felling and bucking since I'm dealing with no larger than about 15" dia. trees.

I also have an Echo 670 with 20" bar (will take 24" also) that I'm using with the Alaskan mill.  I'm not making lumber and timbers are from 4x4 to 8x8 for the most part.

If I had it to do over, I would get the largest Echo (8000, I think) for the mill, but I was trying to save money.

Will probably use the 300 for firewood in the future and the 670 for felling and bucking the larger trees.

The local Amish saw mill will get my lumber and maybe some timber business.

Squirl

On the two saws note, I would recommend not to discount how handy a small electric can be.  I have found them as low as $15 on craigslist.  They are light and great for small jobs. They also require no engine maintenance and don't have problems starting.

glenn kangiser

On the electrics I agree with Squirl but would add that a name brand such as Stihl, Makita, etc.  will last much longer than a off brand such as Remington - I wore out two of them in 2 years of light to medium use.  Plastic gears.

Bobmarlon

Hey guys thanks for all the information

I may just go new I really want to get a good tool.  I'm thinking about a husquavarna 460 or something similar 20 - 24 inch bar.  Ive been checking Ebay it looks like there are alot good refurbished saws Im gonna go out to a dealer and start comparing some prices.    Im not really worried about the alaskin mill but was just intrigued with the idea of making my own timber  .

glenn kangiser

A friend once told me, "Once you own a sawmill you will never look at a tree in the same way."

He is so correct.  

The majestic Ponderosa pine.  
I lust after her boards.  
I shiver at the thoughts of sawdust being ripped from her woody flesh by the sharp teeth of the speeding blade....
I take delight in the sawdust gently falling to the ground around my feet.
The beetles, larvae and bugs scurrying to get out of harms way.....

Yes , 'tis true.  I will never look at a tree in the same way.