20 x 30 question

Started by aralph, October 20, 2016, 02:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aralph

Thinking about purchasing these plans to build a multipurpose guest/pool house.  However, don't need a bedroom or laundry, and want to move kitchen to end with bath (along with closet, and install a pantry).  Also plan to install sliding glass doors on the front, and have the kitchen counter hang out the front to double as a bar (will install a rollup door so I can open/close it cabana style).

My question is, how easy are these plans to modify?  Also, do they tell you how much materials you need to purchase so you can make bulk purchase and reduce costs?  Finally, how much (approx) can I build this structure for, assuming I do most of the work myself?

Thanks. 

John Raabe

Quote from: aralph on October 20, 2016, 02:41:02 PM
Thinking about purchasing these plans to build a multipurpose guest/pool house.  However, don't need a bedroom or laundry, and want to move kitchen to end with bath (along with closet, and install a pantry).  Also plan to install sliding glass doors on the front, and have the kitchen counter hang out the front to double as a bar (will install a rollup door so I can open/close it cabana style).

My question is, how easy are these plans to modify?  Also, do they tell you how much materials you need to purchase so you can make bulk purchase and reduce costs?  Finally, how much (approx) can I build this structure for, assuming I do most of the work myself?

Thanks. 

The easy way to build the 20x30 1-1/2 story is to use full span engineered floor joists at both the main and upper level. For the roof use engineered trusses that sit on a 2x6 stem wall of your chosen height. (see the sample site-built truss for shape). The interior of both floors do not carry any loads other than people or furniture so walls can be laid out as you desire.

You will need a sturdy header over the sliding glass door and a smaller header at windows and swinging doors. There is a cost estimator on the home page of CountryPlans (see Articles of Interest).
Welcome and best wishes on your project. w*
None of us are as smart as all of us.