Deck- Need Help

Started by IronRanger, July 22, 2009, 03:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IronRanger

My Mom's having a deck installed on her new home.  First, the front steps/deck (5'x5') are posts set on blocks and he doesn't have the pavers or anything to spread the weight of the risers (the bottom risers are resting on the ground).  We're in northern Minnesota and frost-depth is 4-5'.  This is sandy soil, no clay.  The front steps/mini-deck are attached to the house.  Shouldn't it be supported by piers, not block?

Her rear deck's going on tomorrow and he plans to do the same build.  I thought it had to be built on piers, particularly when it's attached to the house.

I'm headed-over there in an hour to have a talk with the contractor, but he's gonna build it tomorrow, so any overnight air support would be appreciated.   :)

"They must find it difficult, those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as authority"- G.Massey

"Freedom is just Chaos, with better lighting." - Alan Dean Foster

rocking23nf

Im in northern alberta and decks here dont need to be in piers unless they are over 6feet high. So building with blocks are probably acceptable where you are, and to be honest, after building my 200 square foot deck 2 summers ago with piers, I would do it all over again with blocks, just for the time, and mixing of cement is nasty work.

I put my deck in piers, but my steps are on blocks, and after 2 years it hasnt moved at all.

ScottA

Decks aren't very heavy and don't need much support (on firm ground) unless they are tall and need to resist wind uplift. My deck is sitting on blocks and is fine.

IronRanger

OK, thanks guys.

I actually got ahold of a willing second-party contractor.  He says building on block is the norm these days, even if it's attached to the home. 

I didn't want my mom to have to worry about stopping his work and him putting a lien on her home. 

Thanks for the replies.   [cool]
"They must find it difficult, those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as authority"- G.Massey

"Freedom is just Chaos, with better lighting." - Alan Dean Foster