Cholesterol control....

Started by NM_Shooter, October 26, 2011, 06:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NM_Shooter

My wife did not do well on statins, but needed a way to control her cholesterol.  Her nurse / practitioner suggested trying a blend of Niacin and Red Rice Yeast (or Red Yeast Rice, I can't remember).  My wife was pleasantly surprised to find that her levels are significantly reduced for the first time in many years. 

Ask your doc about this!

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Redoverfarm

Frank I tried the Niacin several years ago.  I first tried the straight in about 800mg a day.  My face flushed so much.  The time release was not that much better.  It didn't drop mine that much but maybe they have improved it.  Is the rice yeast (or what ever) seperate or together with the Niacin?  Good luck to her.

Sassy

Quote from: Redoverfarm on October 26, 2011, 06:58:00 PM
Frank I tried the Niacin several years ago.  I first tried the straight in about 800mg a day.  My face flushed so much.  The time release was not that much better.  It didn't drop mine that much but maybe they have improved it.  Is the rice yeast (or what ever) seperate or together with the Niacin?  Good luck to her.

Red, just pretend you are having hotflashes    heh 

I've read about the red rice yeast, haven't ever tried it, my cholesterol is always in the normal range, thankfully... 
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

NM_Shooter

Quote from: Redoverfarm on October 26, 2011, 06:58:00 PM

Hi Red,

She started out by taking 500mg of Niacin once a day, only at night because of the flushing.  Your body builds a tolerance for it though, and I think she is now up to 1500mg a night.  She takes the Red Yeast Rice 2x a day, I'll see if I can get the brand.  She was pretty happy, as this is the first time in 20 years that her HDL/LDL was in the normal range.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"