Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker :)

Started by Oljarhead, September 21, 2009, 02:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Meanwhile, how many amongst us have ever worried about EMP or lightening strikes?

OlJarhead

A little different but something I went through recently on a trip to BC

OlJarhead

Getting ready to head to the cabin!  I will be taking the sawmill up with me this coming week and then Darci and I will be there all of the following week!  Lots to do and I'll be sure to get video for you all!

Meanwhile, after being convinced lightening was my issue (not direct but indirect) I decided to protect my sawmill and will be doing it to my cabin soon!

OlJarhead

Wow!  Awesome week at the cabin!

Managed to get 15 logs milled up, new pump in the back room (sureflow pump to add some water pressure) plus a filter/screen as well as an expansion tank/pressure tank that I forgot to pressurize.  I think I have to blow out the system, or empty that side anyway so I can pressurize it and see how it works).

Have a new water heater to install soon and put in some outdoor screens/blinds on the deck to help with the afternoon and evening sun which tends to bake us during the hot time of year.

MountainDon

Cattle act the same in NM. As if they oen the forest..
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

OlJarhead

Right?  Litterally just stare at you like "what?  me move?  no! You Mooove!"

OlJarhead

Another day thinning trees for fire prevention 

OlJarhead

Got a fair bit of milling in at the cabin this week and took advantage of that to make more video :D

OlJarhead

and if you suffered through that video ;) there's a new one out tomorrow that shows some of the progress on the DLog construction (stacking and waiting period as I mill them) at the end.

Hope all are well!  I plan to get back to the woods next week to FINALLY shut down access to the floor by the pesky rodents (something I've fought with far far too long).

Mike10gs

Hey good morning, you told me to come to your thread. Wow you have done alot over the years. 
It's my parents first year on the property in pateros. We have so much work to do. 
You said there's ways to find the pipe easier?
I've been digging holes by hand following the pipe. Only got about 15 to 20t away. Didn't do a trench, I've been digging holes every 5ft or so and hope the pipe is still on the same path. 

Mike10gs

Also,just checked out your YouTube channel. Very nice property, wish my parents was a little more hidden with trees. There is not many trees at all besides the orchids around. 
We need to Invest in some machinery as we are doing all by hand at the moment. 
You have definitely motivated me though, you do alot of work on your property. Very nice!

OlJarhead

HI,

You would need a locator in order to do it but there are plenty around that might be willing to come out for a few bucks to do it for you.  Basically, the easiest way is to stick a 300 foot 'pull tape' (made of steel) down the pipe as far as you can, then the locator gets hooked up to it and the person with the locator just finds the signal and follows it to where ever it goes.

Some also try witching rods.

OlJarhead

Quote from: Mike10gs on October 14, 2023, 10:00:38 AMAlso,just checked out your YouTube channel. Very nice property, wish my parents was a little more hidden with trees. There is not many trees at all besides the orchids around.
We need to Invest in some machinery as we are doing all by hand at the moment.
You have definitely motivated me though, you do alot of work on your property. Very nice!
Thanks!

We started with pretty much just hand tools so totally get it!  An ATV can be a useful tractor like tool ;) and a chainsaw but without too many trees then maybe a tractor for blade and bucket work.

Good luck! and I'm happy to answer any questions I can!

OlJarhead

And now we're fixing this up!  So happy to have done this and more yet to come!  Heading back up today!

OlJarhead

Just returned from another awesome weekend at the cabin (4 days actually) and got much done!  First, this is from a couple weeks ago...
Now at least the outhouse is one step closer to being fully protected!

I just need to remove the log posts up front, the porch floor, replace the floor and posts and protect the floor from water (not sure how yet - maybe linoleum) and then roof it :D

And finish the siding, interior and and...lol that's how it goes.

Then I fixed my tractor:

OlJarhead

Got lights?  These are awesome!