Cellulose in cabin floor

Started by Ernest T. Bass, March 23, 2009, 09:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernest T. Bass

Apologies if this has been asked before; a bit of searching didn't turn up an answer to my exact situation..

We need to put something breathable and cheap under our cabin's floor joists before we insulate with blown-in cellulose from the top (our cabin is dried in and we skipped a plywood subfloor as 1'' spruce t&g will be the sub/finish floor for now).

Normally we would be able to get all the super heavy plastic screening/mesh that we wanted from our local paper mill, but the economy is putting them out of business.

Would landscape fabric like this stapled to the bottom of the joists work to hold up about 5'' of cellulose? What about rodents? Something like dense hardware cloth would be way too expensive...

Thanks,
Andrew

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

MountainDon

Hmmm. If you're going to use loose fill or blown in cellulose I believe you are going to need something more than landscape fabric to hold it up without sagging. Besides that, the rodents will make short work of it if you have any (rodents), and who doesn't. And sooner or later one of them will be tempted, I'm sure.

We used 3/8" CDX plywood. Maybe someone will have a good less expensive idea.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.