Internet ripoffs and scams

Started by peternap, August 19, 2008, 06:19:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

I've been doing a lot of research lately on internet ripoffs and scams, for the do do business with, section og my news site.

It's just mind boggling.
Everything from elaborate real estate schemes to simple non delivery of items.

It seems to hit every aspect of the internet.
Craigslist and Ebay are always suspect but even individual boards get hit by gypsy scammers that sell a few things and disappear.

Real estate, boats, cars, stereos, cameras, tools and everything else one can imagine are sold as high quality and junk delivered or just not delivered.

This was a gun scam on Craigs list.
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?p=411233

Just makes you want to turn the computer off.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

desdawg

I keep running into people in parking lots selling home theater systems. I don't know where they come from either. Seems to happen a lot at Home Depot. I always assume it is hot merchandise.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

MountainDon

I've had the same shopping lot experience. The local sheriffs office acted quickly on my cell phone call and by the time I was loading the trailer three deputies were on scene. It was stolen merchandise.   :)

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

desdawg

I guess I should program the PD phone number into my cell phone.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

glenn kangiser

I always check feedback on ebay - some help.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.