An Inconvenient Truth

Started by jraabe, July 28, 2006, 12:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jraabe

I saw this Al Gore movie last night... very powerful! He has been beating the drum about global warming since his college days.

The movie is basically his slide show of very presentable facts along with some personal bio background. This movie turns the wooden presidential candidate into a very real human being.

The big message I left with was the speed with which the Arctic and Antarctic ice is melting. The poles are where the real action is for global warming - this makes it invisible or merely theoretical to most of the world.

If you live in an area with an elevation of 40 feet above sea level or below you need to:
1. See this movie
2. Move!

Water levels around the planet could rise very quickly (in days) and there are 20 million people in peril.

http://climatecrisis.org/ - the website.

The trailer from Google - you can see what happens to Florida and Manhattan.

Robert_Flowers

You know this makes me wonder about a car ad i saw on tv for ford i thank.

All the 2007 models are duel fuel  that is they can use gas or E85 ,we have only had high gas prices for a year now an in one year they can outfit the cars for E85 but before it would cost too much and buyers would not pay.
Just thank what this world would be like if the car companys would have did this back in the 70's.
I guess its cheaper to sent billons of dollars to nations that hate the USA and sent thousands of soldiers to there deaths,lord knows we can't do what Brazil ins a third world country and we (USA) are better than that  :'(

MIEDRN

Well, this is certainly........the only words I can use to describe it is "gloom and doom". Sounds like a cliche but if this info is true, so is the adjective!

I'm glad I'm considering the ICF home, at least it would be safe from high winds. Not sure how safe it will be to live here in the Great Lakes though!

I haven't seen the movie yet, I've only visited the web site. I think I'll see that movie. The website was shocking.

CREATIVE1

Wanted to see this movie, but it was gone from the theater in two weeks (and I live in Florida, where we should be MOST interested and concerned)

jraabe

The movie is better than the trailer and not so shocking as it is made out to be in the clip (it sounds like they are selling another summer disaster movie).

Global warming is clearly a growing problem of huge proportions - but - with an unknown timeline. And, since it has been building for over 200 years, this trend will not be turned around in our lifetimes no matter what we might do to repent.

Still, I would look for land higher than 20' in elevation and not in the hurricane belt. No sense stacking the deck against yourself.

Amanda_931

And when you're picking out landscape plants, choose those that thrive in a wide variety of (for better or worse, the USDA chilling) zones, that don't have to be watered much.

Ditto for food gardens.  I have friends who are switching to non-hybrid, and starting to save seeds.

(but we still love the Sun-Sugar tomatoes, which I believe grow from seed from the fruit pretty well.)

The hurricane areas might get more water on average.  Although this year south Louisiana is one of the major drought areas.

Sassy

Amanda_931

Hohenwald Tennessee is having a mini-eco-film series--started out with An Inconvenient Truth the other night.  It's close enough to The Farm to have Albert Bates as one of the organizers, he wrote a book on climate change (forward by Gore) in the early nineties. Bates' new book was on the Transition Culture guy's (Rob Hopkins') best books of the year list.

Quote6. Post-Petroleum Survival Guide and Cookbook: Recipes for Changing Times - Albert Bates.
The best book on energy descent of the year, written in Albert's characteristically humorous yet sobering way. Wonderfully engaging, a mixture of recipes, practical tips and advice, which steers a nice line between the survivalist path and the more communitarian approach. Does a great job of presenting peak oil as the opportunity to finally get round to doing all those things you've been putting on the long finger as you have never quite had enough time, what with dashing around frantically supporting the capitalist oil-dependent economy. Essential reading.

Transition Culture is a really interesting idea.  Here's Hopkins' web site--although I think I've posted it before:

http://transitionculture.org/