CALC: Diving Board Calc

Started by Don_P, October 14, 2009, 06:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don_P

I was curious about calculating cantilevered floors supporting floors, walls and roof so did a bit of digging. I found formulas for a point loaded beam overhanging support and wrote the math into a script. I then backchecked against the codebook cantilever table and my results are a bit less conservative, less safe, than their tables. You can delete the input variables on each line and enter your own scenario, click "show result" after changes are made. I've only run it in IE7. This is very crude, omits variables, is no substitute and walks right on by the codebook into an engineer's rightful territory but might give an idea as to whether an idea is getting into trouble. In other words use it at your own risk and be aware it is the equivalent of bear hunting with a switch.
http://www.windyhilllogworks.com/Calcs/pointloadcantilever.htm

One note from today's reading that is worth noting. When joists are cantilevered over a beam the joists are required to be solid blocked over the beam.

poppy

QuoteOne note from today's reading that is worth noting. When joists are cantilevered over a beam the joists are required to be solid blocked over the beam
Once again, thanks for the info. there Don.  I was debating whether to block over the beams.

On a side note; I've always liked the idea of the cantilever and the methods used to reduce deflections and stresses. 

Many moons ago I was introduced to prestressed concrete and have kicked around ideas on how to incorporate prestress into a wooden structure.  Haven't developed any solid ideas, however.