Old homestead pics.

Started by poppy, April 11, 2010, 08:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poppy

Been looking for properties lately (don't have the time to explain).

While traveling one of the back roads between properties, I ran across this old homestead.

Another example of some of the stone work back in the day.

Most of the properties I reviewed are pretty dull and boring, but one has some historical interest.

This house was built in 1901 and is claimed to be the former house of the last surviving civil war veteran from this town.

It includes a two story 16x24 barn; all for the low low price of $47,500.  :o

I don't know if I'm really interested in buying it, but I want to see the inside.

MountainDon

Are there many of those real oldies like the 1st one?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

poppy

Don, the answer to your question is yes and no.

I haven't really looked for old homesteads, but there are some more out there.

The stone work is what interests me.  There is a very old all stone house down the road from me, that has been "restored" and is for sale.  I almost drove back to take a couple of pics. but had a truck load of stuff to unload at the farm, so passed it by this time.

There are also a fair number of old houses (some log) with the nice stone work on the chimneys that have had siding added and are current residences.  I may put together a photo journal of some of those.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

stoneturtle

I love the old houses.  So many are having to be burned down where I grew up, because the druggies use them if not.  So sad.

Nice pictures.

Lora
(Planning to build in Pulaski County, KY)

pagan

I like the gothic arched door on the second floor of the second house.

poppy

Yea, pagan, the arched door and the main entry below it is what really caught my eye.  Unfortunately, the main entry door has been replaced.

One reason I want to look inside is to see how the stairs are arranged.  You can't tell from the outside.

The gothic arch feature shows up on a number of houses from that era close to my farm, both in doors and windows.

travcojim

thought i would pass this along,, talk about built to last....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-ZDysR7zGg

rick91351

Hey Poppy glad to see you back!!!  Missed you!

Quote from: stoneturtle on April 12, 2010, 08:40:34 AM
I love the old houses.  So many are having to be burned down where I grew up, because the druggies use them if not.  So sad.

Nice pictures.

We added 360 acres to our ranch several years ago and it had an old homestead house on it.  Year before last I demolished and burned it in the early winter to protect us from liability just because of that.  It could have very easily started a forest fire if something happened in the wrong season; plus it attracted people.  When I was a kid and people lived in it, it was the cutest thing.  It even had some family history for us.  Mom and dad rented it and lived there right after they were married late 1930's or early 40's.  However it fell in such disrepair that the only choice was to make it go away.  Wonderful cabin sight though.  I have not ruled it out when we build up there.  We retire in one year and five months but who is counting?  Planing on a foundation party then!!!   ;)   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Jens

"Been looking for properties lately (don't have the time to explain)."

What about now?  Now?  How about...now?  You can't just kiss us in the mornin' and then just walk away you know.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!