Above closets....

Started by Jared, April 03, 2007, 12:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared

Is there a header above closets that are in non-load bearing walls? I wondered today why the closet opening wouldn't just be cut out all the way to the ceiling, making it easier to put boxes on the top shelf. Anybody know?
Jared

PA-Builder

Not sure that I understand your question, but most closets that I've seen are open to the ceiling (floor joists or ceiling joists above are supporting the ceiling material), unless there's a stairway that is in proximity.  There would be a header above the door (may or may not be load bearing).  Hope this helps !

Rover

Jared,
in my home we have some closet openings right to the ceiling.  It works great.  Like you said, easy access to the upper shelf of a closet.
Its difficult to get closet doors for such a tall opening, so we just installed a curtain rod and curtain in the opening.

When (or if) I build my cottage, I'll do the same.  It simplifies construction too.  Another thing I'd do is make some closets 3' deep, having the back 12'' for shelving.

To answer your question, if you had a framed opening, I don't think you need a header for a non bearing wall.

hobbiest

If you had a standard door opening, you would at least need a 2x4 on the flat across the top of the opening to nail drywall to.  Two of them makes it easier for trim too.  To answer the other part of your question though, non-load bearing is the key.  No a header would not be required, and yes, you could just extend the opening all the way up.

Jared

OK, the wall runs the same direction as the trusses, which leads me to believe it's not load bearing. My house is 17 years old, so where could I get plans at? Let's say I had to sell this house and buy one that was built in '61....where would I get plans for it to find out if it's load bearing or not? See, if we get to keep this house, I want to cut out the top front of the closet (where the upper door rails are) and have an opening, floor to ceiling. No drywall above at all. Then I want to build a nice, simple closet system in it, with a couple of drawers and some shelves to get rid of dressers in the rooms.
Jared

glenn-k

Possibly the building agency would have a copy - never tried to get them that way, but if it has real trusses then the wall is non-bearing as trusses normally span the entire distance, besides running parallel.

Possibly the original builder would have a plan also but not necessarily.  A review of the structure design as built and footings should tell you the story though.

hobbiest

If it is trusses, not rafters, collar ties, and joists, none of the interior walls are load bearing, as John said.  If they are load bearing walls, I can describe how to put a new header in the cieling for you

Jared

What's in the attic looks like a triangle with a W inside the triangle....what I've always called trusses. Am I right?
Jared

glenn-k

Usually the W type are trusses.  They also normally have perforated finger splice plates pressed into the wood at each joint to connect them together - site built trusses may use plywood gussets at the joints.