$ per square foot

Started by n74tg, November 19, 2008, 08:46:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

n74tg

I was looking at a local homes magazine yesterday and came across an advertisement where a custom builder showed three of his homes and the prices they were listed for and the square footage of each.  All three were in the 3,500 to 4,500 SF range, McMansion looking in appearance (lots of brick and other intricate detail, both inside and out, heavily landscaped yards, etc).  I ran the numbers and all three came in between $83 and $86 per sq ft.  Looking at this made me wonder where I am on cost on my project. 

I have kept accurate totals on what I've spent so far.  With all my walls up and sheathed, my roof trusses on, all my interior doors, all my flooring, all my windows and even my two toilets sitting in storage in the workshop I'm right at $16,800 on cost.  My roofing (26 gauge metal) will run right at $2,500.  I expect to be in the dry for $9.60 per sf. 

If I factor in the cost of the lot (which had a 22x40 workshop already built on it), I'm in the dry for $22.60 per sf. 

I know all the finish work (countertops, lighting and plumbing fixtures, cabinets, etc) will be expensive.  I also know that I'm not building a McMansion, but really just a simple, straightforward house.  Still, I'm thinking I can finish for less than half the cost per sq ft of that contractor. 
My house building blog:

http://n74tg.blogspot.com/

glenn kangiser

Thanks for that data, Tony.  There are always lots of people interested in that type of information.

Around here about a year ago per a realtor friend, houses without the lot were running $85 to $105 per square foot average by various contractors.  I was trying to figure out the value of a CP cabin to build for a lady.  Health problems stopped the project.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

CREATIVE1

There are builders that advertise homes for as little as $38 a square foot.  Considered this, but they won't build in my area because of the snow load requirements.  Here's a link:

http://www.hilinehomes.com/

I'm hoping I can build for close to that even with personal and friend labor, and saving everything I can on materials.  Of course, my house will be much more to my taste---but I can tell you which path my husband would have preferred!

OldDog

I will be totally finished for $29 sq ft

c*
If you live a totally useless day in a totally useless manner you have learned how to live

CREATIVE1

Exciting.  So how did you accomplish it?  Did you do provide the labor yourself?  We did that with our last house, but at 60 now we need some help.  And some things, like water heater installation, have to be done by a professional per code.

ScottA

$30 - $40 a foot is doable but keep in mind that the smaller a house is the more the cost per foot because many costs are the same regardless of house size.

OldDog

FRIENDS, FRIENDS, FRIENDS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Friends to help frame, friend to wire & friends to plumb.

Friends at lumber yard sold material at contractor prices.

Drywall hanging & finishing were the only paid labor.

13 months in and only like sitting cabinets and flooring being done!

I'm 60 and in no hurry to finish.
If you live a totally useless day in a totally useless manner you have learned how to live

CREATIVE1