Completed building -- thoughts on killing bugs inside new home?

Started by PorkChopsMmm, May 17, 2012, 03:32:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkChopsMmm

We completed construction on our home and I have noticed some bugs inside that I think we layed as eggs during the construction phase. Nothing major but we have seen a few beetles and a few wasps. I was going to launch a couple of bug bombs prior to move-in but figured I would ask if there is anything else I should do.

Thanks!

BADB0Y

That should do the trick. Also check for any gaps or holes before finish work. If you are in the country there is only so much you can do. You have added a big warm/cool spot in the middle of what was nothing. They will come in.
Please excuse my typos, I post from my cell phone 90% of the time!

PorkChopsMmm

BADBOY, I am realizing that now! My next step is clearing out brush nearby to keep ticks at bay.

BADB0Y

Unfortunately they seem to be part of country life. My poor wife has had he'll getting used to them and mice. We do what we can, but especially in the RV there's only so much you can do.
Please excuse my typos, I post from my cell phone 90% of the time!

Don_P

Insects that are just hanging out inside can be killed with a bomb. Insects within the wood are unaffected. So it depends on who it is. Keep an eye out for frass, little piles of sawdust and an exit hole just above it. If you have wood destroying insects then something to treat the wood is needed.

MWAndrus

Think about letting a couple guinea hens free-range around the house. They are voracious bug eaters and will clear most ticks off of two acres in about a week.

alex trent

Importent to distinguish the possibilities/location:

1. Outside....cut brush for ticks.  Knock wasp nests down with spray can ingredients designed for that...usually very low human toxicity pyrethroids.  Rest you should try to live with.

2. In house wood....got to ID and treat accordingly.  Plenty of low box treatments and if you know the bug can select the best one.

3. In the house, but not invading the wood....the typical crawly pest. Spray can with pyrethroids is good general choice. Low toxicity and quick acting , but not long lasting, so you will have to spray on as needed basis.  My choice as I do not like residual sprays. 

For non-toxic residual control under the sink and in other hidden area some boric acid powder along the baseboard and in crevices works wonders on almost all bugs. Makes a mess in the open, so cannot use all over.  I use on baseboards under the bed and under dressers. 

For ants, make a mixture of boric acid and some sugar syrup or use maple syrup and leave along their trail.  Be patient..days...they take it back to nest and all dies, but it take a while.

PorkChopsMmm

Thanks for the help everyone. I don't have any wood inhabiting pests... yet. They are just more annoying pests. I lit off some bug bombs and they seemed to get the majority of pests. We still have quite a few ticks around us so I have been cutting brush back and I am seriously considering adding some guineas to the mix. I have never had chickens, we don't have a coop, and we have a lot of coyotes, but I am wondering if since they roost in trees they would be safe?

Thanks again! The boric acid sounds like a winner, too.

OlJarhead

Safer makes (well packages really) Diatomatious Earth which is effective and natural.  Use it anywhere it can be kept dry -- it's what I use at the cabin to keep the bugs at bay.

Dave Sparks

Polyurethane foam where the drywall hits the cement. Same on the second floor. Filling that gap before baseboard is critical to keeping the beasts out. Take off your baseboard if you have not done this!  A well sealed structure should not be invaded easily ! Most of the home sealing is now on the inspectors list in many areas.
"we go where the power lines don't"