The Frame on the main building is about ready to go up

Started by peternap, January 07, 2008, 08:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

The essential out buildings are finished enough for now. So the frame will go up on the main house in a couple of weeks....Lord willing.

Without going into endless detail, I thought I'd pass on the attachment of the poles and floor.

John really started this by talking about my leaky old pole barn ;D.

My piers have been in for a while now and that's pretty straight forward. The beams on the piers are on.

To get a good seal at the floor level, I have ...(about 3/4 through them are finished).... lathe turned one and a half inch by 2 feet, pins out of split hickory billets.

I will lay the subfloor just as I would for a stick framed building.

Then I will drill through the floor and each pier and insert the pin with a little rocktight.

The poles with predrilled holes will be set on the pins and the post and beam framing will continue from there. You can't get a better seal than that.

I want to be able to get the frame up in a weekend and roof it the next so everything needs to be pre cut and ready to go up. :-\
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

ScottA

Peter maybe you have better luck than me but despite my best efforts precutting never works out like I hoped it would. I hope it goes well for you.

peternap

I have had bad luck doing it in the past also Scott.

I've checked and rechecked my measurements so all I can do is keep my fingers crossed.
These are all 16' posts and 12' beams so all I have to cut are the mortise and tenons for each....

I hope :-\

For the center roof, I built trusses so the big IF will be the side shed roofs. If the beams haven't moved much the birdsmouths will just snap in place.......I HOPE d*
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!