Building within city limits

Started by wei, December 18, 2011, 12:38:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wei

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum so excuse me if this isn't the right place. I'm interested in building for my family a "countryplans" style home. The "expandable saltbox house" is really quite interesting. The thing is I'm in Houston and it isn't feasible for us to move away. From what I'm seeing these plans are more suited to places out where there's ample space all around. I would be building on less than 5000sqft of land or 0.1 acres. Obviously I would need to get construction permitted and inspected to county and/or local regulations. Does anyone have advice for this sort of thing?

Thanks

MountainDon

Talk to the department that issues the permits. There will be minimum set backs from the property lines as well as the usual code regulations.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Okie Bob

Wei, first, WELCOME to the forum. I think you have found the best website that allows you to ask questions and get answers from those of us
that have 'been there, done that'. I hope you enjoy the site and get the answers to all your questions.
Most of us have not experienced your situation. I know I haven't. MtnDon's advise is about as good as it gets. The only thing I can ad is that you may also have deed restrictions in addition to general permit requirements and inspections. You should have those in the documentation that you would have received at the closing for your property. If not, they are usually on record.
Good luck, Wei, I think you are on a very exciting path and it may get pretty rough dealing with the legal issues in Houston. But, stick with it and you will succeed.
Best regards and again, welcome!
Okie Bob
Sooner Born-Sooner Bred-And when I die I'll be Sooner Dead