Hunting season is upon us! WhooHoo!

Started by OlJarhead, September 06, 2012, 11:38:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

I saw a post by Skagitdrifter in which he mentioned hunting grouse and well....I realized I was leaving soon for the cabin!

Picked up my archery tag (again) because of the better seasons and I like archery and decided to give it another try this year.  Also got my sons modern rifle tag (he'll hunt with the .45 colt mostly) and we plan to do some grouse hunting when I'm not bow hunting for deer.

Don't plan to go anywhere but our property but it's always nice to have the tag hand and a few broadheads just in case.  Hope to try out some new bird arrow heads we've got too since last years attempt to harvest grouse with blunts didn't go so well  -- I only harvested downy feathers and watched the birds fly off!

Pretty stoked though and since our hunting seasons (archery and modern firearm) are spread out it means one of us will be hunting deer over the next couple months ;)

My step son will likely go for rifle season also so who knows....if only the grandsons were old enough! lol -- none of the ladies want to hunt or we'd have even more tags ;)

peternap

Yep....I'm getting stoked.
Hopefully I won't have to tie myself in the stand this year but I'm ready to go. Bow season opens in October, muzzleloading late October and rifle from November to January, then small game into February.

c*
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Squirl

Most hunting here doesn't open until October too.  This is one of the best times of the year.  The trees are beautiful.  They are still stocking trout and hunting season is open.  And the oppressive heat is ending. It is hard to spend every weekend building.

peternap

Quote from: Squirl on September 06, 2012, 03:35:17 PM
Most hunting here doesn't open until October too.  This is one of the best times of the year.  The trees are beautiful.  They are still stocking trout and hunting season is open.  And the oppressive heat is ending. It is hard to spend every weekend building.

I came up with a solution to the building Squirl.
I need a new shed down there and I'm not going to waste every minute building it.
I'm going to build 8x8 wall panels in the shop in the burbs and haul them to the farm on a trailer.

Just set them on the pole foundation, prop them up, nail them down and together and go hunting. The next week, make and haul the trusses up and do the same thing.

Shed in a box! ;D
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

pmichelsen

I had a couple friends stop by the cabin last weekend as they were bow hunting 40 miles away and wanted a nice steak and cold beer. Was nice to have someone "stop by" the cabin and hang out a while before heading back to their tent.

muldoon

I am really looking forward to deer season this year.

We had good rain unlike the last two years down here in Texas and the grass and ponds have held up well.  The oaks that made it look very healthy and quite capable of dropping significant acorn.  My two young hunters, 11 year old daughter and 7 year old son both want to go and are itching to put the marlin 336 to work. 

Personally, I am looking forward to a few nice weekends out of the city to enjoy the time with family.

One thing that is pretty cool about this year; I always have to "return to the city" on Wednesday or Thursday for Thanksgiving.  However this year we are having Tday at the wifes brothers house that is just a few miles from camp.  For the first time ever I get to come for the week and enjoy Tday essentially in the woods. 

I hope I shoot a turkey, I'm putting it on the smoker and bringing it to dinner.  I'll even wrap it in bacon and peppers ......   d*

Huge29

You said it!  I am in Utah and I am at the "cabin" now using wifi...we are at about 8,400' so the air was quite crisp tonight at 46 degrees at midnight, which made me think the hunt is only a short 5 weeks away...
It has been such a dry year and a mild winter; I have never seen so many does with twins.  Water source is key it would appear.  A few doozies already taken here in the archery hunt, muzzleloader begins in about two weeks then the general, rifle, 3rd Saturday of October. 

OlJarhead

Didn't get much 'hunting' in while at the cabin last week but had the bow ready in case a deer happened to stumble into our cabin area ;)

I did, however, shoot a jackrabbit which is being stewed as I type :)

My son took a crack at a couple grouse and a couple rabbits but they got away from him :D

We managed to do a little bird hiking, er I mean hunting but to no avail...but that's ok!  It was great and we're going back soon with more hunting and less working in mind.